When your child comes to a word they might not know there are NINE different strategies that you can use to help your child.
1. Look at the beginning sound. Look at the ending sound. (Example - dog or puppy)
2. Does the word make sense in the sentence?
3. Look at the pictures.
4. Does the word sound right?
5. Does the word LOOK right? (Example: BOY or DOG)
6. Guess to see if you're right.
7. Chunk, or find smaller words in the big words. (Example: Go - ing)
8. Try it again!!!
9. Read _____ Read (Example: The dog ______ at me. (barked)).