REYNOLDS HIGH SCHOOL
Visual and Performing Arts - Arts Integration
301 N. Hawthorne Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27104
Phone: (336) 703-4145
Fax: (336) 727-2053
Art Paschal, Principal
Visit the official school web site.
Reynolds provides abundant opportunities for creativity, originality and critical thinking by integrating the arts into math, science, social studies and English/language arts.
All students are exposed to the arts through campus-wide arts events and exhibits, and two professional performances each year. A “lunchtime” stage is used for student performances, and upgraded projectors and sound systems allow performances to be broadcast to classrooms and common spaces.
In addition to their core academic courses, students choose from three distinctive arts strands: Arts Infused, Arts Aware and Arts Intensive.
Highlights of the magnet program at Reynolds include:
- Arts Aware: Students may choose not to take additional arts classes but benefit from an enriched arts environment at the school.
- Arts Infused: Students take at least three arts electives in addition to Seminar in the Arts.
- Arts Intensive: Students audition for placement in the school’s “Spotlight Arts” courses before their freshman year, “major” in one arts discipline, and take arts courses all four years of high school.
Directions to Reynolds
- Year-long Seminar in the Arts course builds skills necessary for success in high school and beyond. At the end of their freshman year, students choose the Arts Aware, Arts Infused or Arts Intensive strands to pursue for the rest of high school.
- Integration of the arts and arts skills into core instruction in all subjects.
- Projects are planned using arts integration as a hook to capture interest.
- Before- and after-school classes in film and broadcasting, animation, piano, and jazz band, and after-school lessons in classical guitar, digital strings and music theory.
- Reynolds Auditorium used regularly for student performances.
- Greater selection of Advanced Placement courses than at other high schools.
From Business I-40, exit at Cloverdale Ave. Turn left at bottom of ramp. Go through light at First St. to end of Cloverdale, turn left on Hawthorne Road. Go through second traffic light, under railroad trestle, then bear right. School will be on right. Go through lobby, turn right at hallway; office is first door on right. Main office is on first floor of main building.