"NEW" Visual Arts Essential Standards
1. Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively
Use appropriate art vocabulary when discussing media, processes, or images in art.
Create original art that expreses ideas about people, neighborhoods, or communities.
Understand the "story" in work of art.
Understand characteristics of the Elements of Art, including, lines, shapes, colors, textures, form, value and space.
Understand characteristics of the Principles of Design, including repetition, movement, emphasis, contrast, and balance, and proportion.
2. Apply creative and critical thinking skills to artistic expression
Understand that artistic problems have multiple solutions.
Use personal point of view of the environment as a source of imagery.
Create art from real and imaginary sources of inspiration
3. Create art using a variety of tools, media, and processes,safely and appropriately
Use a variety of tools safely and appropriately to create art
Recognize characteristics of a variety of media.
Use the proceses of drawing, painting, weaving, printing, stichery, collage, mixed media, sculpture, and ceramics to create art.
4. Understand the global, historical, societal, and cultural contexts of the visual arts
Exemplify visual arts representing the hertiage, customs and traditions of various cultures.
Recognize that works of art represent specific time periods.
Understand various movements in art and the artists that represent them.
Compare art from various cultures.
Understand that artists use natural resources in creating art.
5. Understand the interdisciplinary connections and life applications of the visual arts
Recognize the impact of regional differences on the production of art.
Understand relationships between art and concepts from other disciplines, such as, math, science, language arts, social studies, and other arts
Recognize that some artists work in teams to create art.
6. Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts
Use appropriate art terminology to describe art in terms of subject and physical characteristics.
Evaluate personal work, while in progress and at completion.