School Transformation by Actively Recruiting,
Rewarding & Retaining
STAR3 is a federal Teacher Incentive Fund (TIF) grant awarded to the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School District. The award was $19.6 million for five years.
LATEST STAR3 NEWS
Griffith Elementary and Hall-Woodward Elementary Schools
These two school achieved the Whole-School STAR3 Incentive Bonus for exhibiting student growth above the state average in grades kindergarten through 5th.
Drumming to the Beat........
STAR3 Teacher-Leaders meet with Debbie Silver
STAR3 Teacher-Leaders engaged!
March 21st Notes:
- Each year at this time Lesson Plan (Unit Lesson Plans) will be collected from each of the STAR3 schools. The STAR3 Facilitators will provide more information on this at your school.
- STAR3 Unit Lesson Plan Scoring Rubric
- The Spring ITBS testing for K-3 is scheduled for the month of April.
Kimberley Park Elementary School: School Improvement Team (SIT) during the February SIP Review
- Mr. Jon Brasfield oversees that incentive pay data system. If you have questions you may contact him at: email@example.com
Wayne Foster, PhD, Project Director
Diggs-Latham Elementary School - Puts on a Show
Students at Diggs-Latham Elementary School put on the Nutcracker. This great photo (and others) were made into note cards.
STAR3 OBSERVATION RUBRIC
Teacher observations as part of the STAR3 project have the following characteristics:
1. The observation feedback is provided to the teacher only and should be utilized for consideration of professional development.
2. For the schools with the performance-based-compensation system, two observations scored at less than proficient will reduce any potential bonus payment by 25 percent.
3. The observation rubric is performed by highly trained observers.
4. The observation rubric is one that aligns closely with the North Carolina Teacher Evaluation tool. A copy of the rubric can be obtained by clicking here: TeacherObservationRubric.
STAR3 FACILITATOR LIST
Nancy Scoggin: Philo-Hill MS
Tasha Hall-Powell: Wiley MS, Mineral Springs MS
April McBride: Gibson ES, Konnoak ES, South Fork ES, Ashley ES
Connie Rogers: North Hills ES, Old Town ES, Diggs-Latham ES, Hall-Woodward ES
Leah Gardner: Kimberley Park ES, Easton ES, Middle Fork ES, Griffith ES
From Left to Right: April McBride, Connie Rogers, Leah Gardner, Wayne Foster (STAR3 Project Director), Tasha Hall-Powell, and Nancy Scoggin.
TEACHER-LEADER PROGRAM DETAILS - NEW!!
Navigate to the TEACHER-LEADER section of this website to learn about the STAR3 Teacher-Leader initiative.
As with 2011-12, all core teachers will have two observations as part of the STAR3 project. The STAR3 observations will be performed by the STAR3 Facilitators and four, full-time, trained observers. The observers will provide feedback on the classroom observations as soon as possible following the observations. The STAR3 Observers are shown below and each will be working in all the STAR3 schools. These observations will begin in September of this school year.
STAR3 Observers (Left to Right): Sally McCombs, Jennifer Mickey, Cabot Carney and Susan Landers.