CREST and Kids + Programs
CREST Program Frequently Asked Questions -
- What is CREST?
CREST is actually a collaborative program with Youth Opportunities, Inc. that provide mental health therapy for students from grades 1-5. It is a 145 day “medical necessity” mental health/school program. The assigned student is enrolled at Cook Elementary during this period. Students in the program continue with their academics while they receive assessments and support. The program is located on the Cook campus.
- Is there a kindergarten program?
Yes, the kindergarten program is called Kids + (PLUS). It is a partial day program for kindergarten students with mental health needs that interfere with school or readiness.
- How do I refer a student to CREST or KIDS +?
Begin the process for CREST by downloading the referral form from the link below. Complete the entire packet and submit it with any pertinent documentation to Cynthia C. Williams in the Office of Alternative Education. For KIDS +, complete the packet and submit to Matthew Sixberry, Team Leader at Cook.
- What happens next?
After a referral has been submitted, a Selection Committee will meet to make a determination about the applicant.
- If an applicant is approved, then an intake will be done at Cook where more assessments may be done.
- An official start date is given after authorization.
- Once authorization is given and a start date is established, the student can be enrolled at Cook. Transportation can be arranged along with any other necessary information (ex. IEP).
- What if a student has an IEP?
If a student has an IEP, then the home school would be responsible for setting up an IEP meeting with the CREST staff to transfer services to Cook. When the student is ready to transition back to their home school, then the CREST staff will set up an IEP meeting to transfer services back to the home school.
- Who from the home school should be involved while the student is in the program?
It recommended that the following staff members be involved with CREST while the student is in the program:
2. Classroom Teacher
3. School Counselor
4. Data Manager
5. EC teacher (if applicable)
6. Social Worker (if applicable)
7. Home-School Coordinator (if applicable)
Referral Documents -
Click here for links to access CREST or Kids Plus application forms:
CREST Form Kids + Form