How to Apply to Forsyth County PreK 2017-18
PreK Application Period 2017-18 begins February 1, 2017
- Parents apply for all WSFCS, Head Start, and Smart Start/NCPK locations using a single application.
- There is no charge to families for the educational program.
- Parents may indicate preK classroom location preferences on the application, pg. 11.
- Parents who apply between February 1 and March 31 may schedule a developmental screening appointment for their child at Smart Start.
- Children must be four years of age on or before August 31 and live in Forsyth County to be considered for Pre-K program.
Applications are available for parents to pick up in all Title I elementary school offices including: Ashley, Bolton, Brunson, Cook, Diggs-Latham, Easton, Forest Park, Gibson, Griffith, Hall-Woodward, Ibraham, Kernersville, Kimberley Park, Kimmel Farm, Konnoak, Middle Fork, Mineral Springs, Moore, North Hills, Old Town, Petree, Smith Farm, South Fork, Speas, Union Cross, Walkertown and Ward beginning February 1.
Applications are also available at Head Start-Sarah Y. Austin, 2050 Big House Gaines Blvd., Winston-Salem, 27101, Head Start-WSSU, 601 S. Martin Luther King Dr., Winston-Salem, 27101, Smart Start, 7820 North Point Blvd, Winston-Salem 27106 and Caleb's Creek Elementary School.
You may also print the 13 page application here: PreK 2017-18 Application.
Step 1 Complete the application
Include these documents:
- Child’s Birth Certificate, (‘Mother’s Verification of Facts’ form is NOT ACCEPTABLE)
- Proof of Forsyth County residence (most current utility bill or lease uin parent’s name),
- Income documentation for parents living in the household who are working: last 4 check stubs, or other income documentation (Tax Return, W-2’s are acceptable). Also, proof of SSI benefits, and/or proof of child support, if applicable. Parents do not have to be employed for the child to be eligible.
Step 2 Complete a Site Selection Form
The Site Preference Form is part of the application, page 11. This does not guarantee placement at any site, but allows you to indicate location(s) you are able to provide transportation for your child and you are able to access before and after school care if needed.
Step 3 Turn in application
Return completed applications in person or by mail to:
Smart Start of Forsyth County, 7820 North Point Blvd, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106
Head Start at Sarah Y. Austin, 2050 Big House Gaines Blvd, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101
Head Start at WSSU, 601 S. Martin Luther King Dr., Winston-Salem, NC, 27101
Step 4 Schedule a developmental screening appointment for your child
Parents should schedule a developmental screening appointment for your child when you return a completed application to Smart Start or Head Start between February 1 and March 31. Pre-K teachers will screen the children who apply after March 31 when the child enrolls in the classroom.
Community Pre-K Assessment Screening Appointments
Families interested in Title I classrooms located within Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools must schedule a Pre-K developmental screening assessment for their child through Smart Start.
Your child will be screened using a developmental assessment designed to measure gross and fine motor skills, critical thinking skills, language development and learning disposition behaviors. We call this experience "playing games with a teacher." The assessment usually takes about 30 minutes. During this time parents will complete a survey to rate the child's self-help and social-emotional development.
Purpose of developmental screening
About half the district’s classroom spaces are reserved for children who demonstrate they will gain the most educationally from a high quality pre-K experience. Applicants are rank-ordered, offered placement, and when all classrooms in the county have been filled, a rank order wait list is maintained to fill vacancies as they occur.
Appointments will be available Wednesday, March 1, Friday, March 31, and Saturday, April 22, 2017. Please schedule your child's developmental assessment appointment at Smart Start, 7820 North Point Boulevard Suite 200, Winston-Salem, NC, when you return your completed application.
Questions about the developmental screening? Contact Pre-K at 336-748-4000 ext. 34242.