School psychology is the specialty area within the profession of psychology which concerns itself with applying the knowledge and research of psychology to improve the learning and education process within schools. The focus is upon the educational development of individual children, their skills and abilities, and the social and emotional factors which affect their learning process in the classroom.
Vision: The Psychological Services Department provides a system of comprehensive service delivery that enhances the quality of education and overall well-being for all students.
Mission: The Psychological Services Department seeks to positively impact the learning, behavior, and mental health outcomes for all students by providing evidence-based practices, promoting psychologically safe environments, and collaborating with others.
We believe that it is important to:
- emphasize problem-solving, prevention, and intervention
- promote early identification of school difficulties
- promote and help to facilitate a positive school climate
- recognize the effects of overall well-being and mental health on learning and adjustment
- collaborate and consult with families, school system personnel, and community agencies
- deliver services and activities reflective of best practices