I have been a Spanish teacher here at Atkins High School since the school opened. I was on the planning committee and I take great delight in watching the school grow.One of 5 girls, I grew up in Martinsville, Virginia, received my undergraduate degree from the University of Richmond Va. and my Master of Divinity from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky. I studied in Spain during the summer and have been apart of medical mission trips to Peru and the Dominican Republic.
I am a proud mother of 4 children and an even prouder grandmother of one grandchild.
I am a Spanish teacher because I believe in today’s world , it is ever so important to know another language. Listed below are reasons put forth by Auburn University.
1.Foreign Language study creates more positive attitudes and less prejudice toward people who are different.
2.Analytical skills improve when students study a foreign language.
3.Business skills plus foreign language skills make an employee more valuable in the marketplace.
4.Dealing with another culture enables people to gain a more profound understanding of their own culture.
5.Creativity is increased with the study of foreign languages.
6.Graduates often cite foreign language courses as some of the most valuable courses in college because of the communication skills developed in the process.
7.International travel is made easier and more pleasant through knowing a foreign language.
8.Skills like problem solving, dealing with abstract concepts, are increased when you study a foreign language.
9.Foreign language study enhances one’s opportunities in government, business, medicine, law, technology, military, industry, marketing, etc.
10. A second language improves your skills and grades in math and English and on the SAT and GRE.
11. Four out of five new jobs in the US are created as a result of foreign trade.
12. Foreign languages provide a competitive edge in career choices: one is able to communicate in a second language.
13. Foreign language study enhances listening skills and memory.
14. One participates more effectively and responsibly in a multi-cultural world if one knows another language.
15. Your marketable skills in the global economy are improved if you master another language.
16. Foreign language study offers a sense of the past: culturally and linguistically.
17. The study of a foreign tongue improves the knowledge of one’s own language: English vocabulary skills increase.
18. The study of foreign languages teaches and encourages respect for other peoples: it fosters an understanding of the interrelation of language and human nature.
19. Foreign languages expand one’s view of the world, liberalize one’s experiences, and make one more flexible and tolerant.
20. Foreign languages expand one’s world view and limit the barriers between people: barriers cause distrust and fear.
21. Foreign language study leads to an appreciation of cultural diversity.
22. As immigration increases we need to prepare for changes in the American society.
23. One is at a distinct advantage in the global market if one is as bilingual as possible.