Wiley Magnet Middle School
Standard Mode of Dress (SMOD)
Guidelines for Students 2017-2018
Personal appearance directly affects students’ pride in the school; therefore, dress should be comfortable and appropriate for the learning environment. Clothing should not be revealing or distracting to others. Wiley Magnet Middle School wants to help students prepare for the next steps in their lives and dressing appropriately is part of this education. Clothing must adhere to the following guidelines:
All students who attend Wiley Magnet Middle School must wear SMOD approved dress every day.
TOPS: Solid Color Jumpers, Dresses, T-Shirts, Collared Shirts, Button-down Shirts, Hoodies, and Jackets or Wiley Wear (school spirit wear)
- NO stripes, plaids, two toned clothing, pictures, graphics, etc. are allowed (Wiley Wear is the exception). Shirts and any outerwear must be free from pictures of anything related to gangs, weapons, tobacco products, drugs, profanity, obscenity, or inappropriately dressed images.
- NO tank tops, tube tops, spaghetti straps or strapless shirts. All shirts, sweaters, blouses, tops, and dresses should cover the shoulder and underarm and not expose the midriff, upper, or lower back.
- Material must not be mesh, sheer or see-through. Undergarments should not be visible at anytime.
- Shirts should fit so that cleavage is not exposed.
- Logos must be 1” or smaller (Wiley Wear and Hoodies with College Names/Logos are exceptions)
- All heavy jackets and coats are to remain in lockers during the day.
BOTTOMS: Black or Khaki Shorts, Pants or Skirts and Jeans (solid blue denim, black or khaki colored only)
- Blue Jeans may not have holes or rips that expose skin.
- Blue Jeans must be solid, with no bleached or colored spots.
- Clothing (shorts, skirts, dresses, etc.) should be measured for appropriate length. If the wearer stands with arms by his/her sides, the fingertips should rest above the bottom of the clothing.
- NO cotton/nylon/spandex leggings sweat pants, athletic pants or pajama pants.
- Pants are to be secured at the waist by a belt so as not to restrict student movement or expose underwear). Students cannot hold pants up with their hands.
- Belts must be solid color and worn inside the belt loops. NO large buckles, 2” or less.
ACCESSORIES/ OTHER CLOTHING ITEMS:
- Shoes must be worn at all times! NO bedroom slippers or sandals without a heel strap. No shoes with wheels are permitted.
- No clothing may be tied or wrapped around a student’s body. (example: shirt/jacket wrapped around neck or waist)
- No hats, hair curlers, doo rags, athletic headbands or bandanas are to be worn. Headbands for the purpose of holding back hair are acceptable, but must be worn as intended, not across the forehead.
- No bead necklaces that extend below the sternum are allowed.
- No sunglasses are to be worn in school. This includes sunglasses worn on your head. Sunglasses worn in the building will be taken and held until a parent or guardian can pick them up.
- Symbols, styles, or attire frequently associated with gangs, intimidation, violence, or violent groups will not be permitted.
- No gloves may be worn during the school day.