WS/FC Schools

  • Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools operates a "controlled choice" assignment plan.  Students are assigned to schools based on where their parents or guardians live, but students in elementary and middle schools can choose from among the schools in their zones.  If the parents are divorced or legally separated, the child is assigned to the school based on where the parent who has primary custody lives. Proof of address (a deed, lease, or utility bill) is required for enrollment.  For the residential school and zone of any address in Forsyth County, new residents are guaranteed enrollment in their residential school, but those in elementary or middle school may request to enroll in any school within their zone as long as space is available.  

    Parents who want to choose a school for their child other than their residential school may do so each spring during the Schools of Choice period.  The period is announced at schools and on the school system's website  Information about the Choice period is mailed to the parents' address or sent home with the child.  Once an assignment is made, it continues for a minimum of one school year unless there is a change in the student's residence, a medical need or a disciplinary reason for a transfer.  After a student has been assignment to a school, he or shee may stay there for the remaining grades.


    Students with disabilities

    In general, parents of students who have disabilities may participate in school choice.  However, students who are placed in low-incidence or self-contained programs to meet their special needs may be limited to the schools where the programs are provided.  To the extent practical, the school system provides a range of special education programs and services in each attendance zone.  A student who has a medical need, physical illness, handicap, or disability may be assigned to a school in order to provide a reasonable accommodation for his or her needs.  The student's physician must provide a verified statement describing the medical need, handicap, or disability, and the medical advantages expected if the transfer is granted.

    When enrolling in a new school, it is beneficial to notify the new school that your child receives EC services and/or provide a copy of the most recent individualized education plan (IEP).

    To determine your child's residential school and/or school zone, please visit the WS/FCS Student Assignment page.

    For additional information about WS/FCS, please visit the Resources for Parents/Community on the WS/FCS website. 

  • Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
    Exceptional Children's Division 
    Phone: 336-727-2083
    Fax: 336-661-3079
    Administrative Building:
    475 Corporate Square Drive
    Winston-Salem, NC 27105
    Mailing Address:
    P. O. Box 2513 
    Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2513