Band Camp, which starts Monday, August 8th officially kicks off our Marching Band season! Remember, starting next Monday all rehearsals including Band Camp are required and attendance will be taken. Please read over all of this information carefully and let me know if you have questions.
Additionally, please make sure you bring any unpaid band fees to turn into the box on the first day of camp as well as the attached Medical Form, which you will need to print out and fill out completely. Full band Fees are $185.
I also still need parents to sign up to work Band Camp! If you are interested, please email me when you are available at email@example.com or sign up by clicking the volunteering tab about.
Important Camp Information:
- Band Camp is from August 8th-August 19th, Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (Minus the 19th which is 8:00am-12:00pm and then a 5:00 report time for the Glenn Football Game @Glenn) All students should show up ready to rehearse at 8:00 AM on Monday, August 8th. This means students are on the field/in the Band Room with all of their needed equipment. Remember, To be early is to be on time, and to be on time is to be late. I would recommend getting to camp no later than 7:45 (7:30 if you are a leader.)
- Leaders, remember you have a mandatory training this Friday from 8:00-12:00 in the Band Room!
- Please bring a healthy lunch. Lunch break is from 12:00-1:00 and students will need to stay on campus. We will finish at 5:00 each day. Make sure your ride is here to pick you up by 5:10. ALL students should refer to the web site for all dates and times. Remember, our new Website isvikingbands.snappages.com
- Medical Forms and any payments can be made on Monday 8/8 prior to the beginning of rehearsals. Medications can only be administered to students if the notarized Medical Form for 2016-17 has been turned in. We need this year's form from ALL students - new and returning students. These forms can be found on the website and are attached to this email.
- Do remember that Marching Band is a graded Honors Level Class for which an elective credit is given. Attendance will be taken daily. If you miss a day you will need to submit a parent or doctor's note for an excused absence, just like you would for a missed school day. If you must miss a day of practice or a scheduled event, and know about it in advance, please let Mr. Payne know ASAP.
Things to bring/do:
- Instrument (in working condition), music, pencils, extra reeds, valve oil and cork grease, flip folder with lyre, etc.
- Drink lots of water before, during and after band camp! Stay well hydrated to avoid dehydration and other medical issues.
- Sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and Chapstick.
A water bottle, preferably something that is half gallon sized or larger. I would recommend filling this with Ice the night before and letting it melt. Water Jugs will be set out for students, but it is hard to ensure all students get water in a timely manner if we are relying on only them.
- Proper clothing (athletic shirts, gym shorts, proper shoes - make sure they are supportive athletic shoes, and that you don't mind getting them dirty), and two pairs of socks. Remember - modesty goes a long way - no spaghetti strap tank tops or muscle tank shirts. School dress code still applies.
- Eat well! Fruits and veggies can go a long way! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein. Avoid Dairy Products! Any needed prescription medications or inhalers. These should only be taken/used under adult supervision at the first aid tent.
Things NOT to bring or do:
- Any long clothing (jeans, long sleeves, etc.)
- No flip flops, open toed shoes, or boots.
- NO milk/dairy products in the morning unless you wish to see your breakfast again! And this includes NO milk with your cereal! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein. (This will help keep you out of the first aid tent.)
What will be going on during band camp?
- In the morning we will usually be outside from 8:00-12:00, where we will be outside, drilling, learning marching technique, and towards the second half of band camp we will be put our show on the field.
- After a lunch break from 12:00-1:00, we will be inside from 1:00-5:00pm working on music and making sure we get our show as clean as possible as well as doing some work on school songs and stands tunes. The band will often be split into different sections for more focused practice. During this time the Color Guard will continue to practice inside the band room or out on the field.
- Questions about this information or concerns? Email Mr. Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org