Teacher Room Mrs. Melissa Barrett 308 Mrs. Michelle Lewis 307 Mrs. Courtney Rowland 306 Mrs. Jennifer Jones 312 Mrs. Heather Largent 314
Expectations for First Graders
- Independently unpack and start the day.
- Always try your best on all assignments.
- Follow directions the first time.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Consistently use correct handwriting.
Level 1: Significantly below or not meeting grade level expectations.
Level 2: Making growth toward grade level expectations. Inconsistently meets grade level expectations.
Level 3: Consistently meets grade level expectations.
Level 4: Consistently EXCEEDS grade level expectations and is working a grade level above.
Over the summer...
READ books (to them, with them, try to read on their own)
Practice COUNTING forwards and backwards, skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s)
Practice using tally marks
Visit a public library and apply for a library card
Practice correct handwriting, top to bottom, with correct spacing
Start keeping a diary/journal (for fun)
You should expect your child to learn this year...
- Ask/answer questions about key details
- Retell stories with details, main idea, characters, setting, events
- Written retells (mclass question stems as a resource)
- Working with syllables & sounds in words
- Short & long vowels
- Narrative writing
- Informative Writing (How to use transitional words)
- Opinion Writing (State an opinion and provide reasons)
- Mechanics (capitalization, punctuation, spacing, handwriting)
- Handwriting (penmanship, letter formation, lower and upper case letters)
- Writing eight complete sentences by the end of 1st grade.
- Tens and ones
- Place value
- Counting to 120
- Ten frames
- Number order and comparing with < = >
- Adding and subtracting mentally by tens
- Addition and subtraction facts within 20
- Adding 2 digit numbers within 100
- Non-standard measurements
- Data and graphs
- Time to the hour and half hour(digital and analog)
- 2D and 3D shapes and properties
- Dividing shapes into equal shares
- Story problems
- Equal equations
- Animal Habitats
- Moon & Moon Phases
- Force & Motion
- Plants & their needs
- Rules & Citizenship at home, school, community
- Diverse customs/traditions
- Geography (maps/globes)
- Human interactions with their environment
- Economics (needs, wants, supply/demand)
High Frequency Words
First Grade Supply List
- EARBUDS for Chromebooks
- 4 boxes of 24 crayons
- 10 glue sticks
- #2 pencils
- 5 pencil top erasers
- 2 wide-ruled composition books
- 2 boxes of tissues
- box of washable markers
- pencil box
- book bag/back pack (no wheels)
- Hand sanitizer
- 1 box quart size zip-lock bags
- 1 box gallon size zip-lock bags
- 2 solid colored plastic pocket folders
- Paper towels
- Bleach free - disinfecting wipes
Possible Field Trips
Mark Daniel Story Teller (In house)
(Please remember there are costs applicable to field trips, which includes bus transportation. Trips are planned in advance to secure bus transportation.)
Please consider donating the following items to your child's class:
- Baby Wipes
- Glue sticks
- Paper towels
- Extra 2 pocket plastic folders
- Post it notes
- Regular hand soap
- Bleach free disinfecting wipes
- Play Doh
- Sidewalk chalk
- Hand sanitizer