Who is Ready Freddy?
He is our community's Kindergarten Mascot and Best Friend!
Ready Freddy LOVES helping children, families and educators get excited about starting Kindergarten!
Freddy says "Kindergarten Matters! We're Ready for YOU!"
A child’s transition into kindergarten sets the tone for his or her educational experience for many years to come. On the first day of school, every kindergarten child should walk into the classroom feeling excited, ready to learn, and supported by the school, their parents, and their community. Children flourish and learn best in the context of strong and supportive relationships.
We believe that a quality transition to Kindergarten will bring life long benefits to a child. The Ready Freddy Program is unique in that we work to bring together all the necessary elements and participants for a quality transition.
Ready Freddy Helps Families and Schools Work Together To:
- Encourage early positive family engagement.
- Build good attendance habits.
- Help Pre-K children and families transition to Kindergarten.
- Assist families with the Kindergarten Enrollment process.
- Create excitement for the First Day of Kindergarten.
Ready Freddy Kindergarten Club/Play Groups:
- A Transition to Kindergarten Program for those who will be five on or before August 31, 2021, and their caregivers.
- Established at 17 NC Pre-K sites and 41 classrooms in Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools.
- Play Groups, in English and in Spanish, at four sites in Winston Salem will be available Spring 2021.
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Ready Freddy Initiative is a collaborative effort between WS/FCS, The Forsyth Promise, The United Way, and Smart Start of Forsyth County. This work is based on the Ready Freddy™ approach, developed by the University of Pittsburgh's Office of Child Development ReadyFreddy.org
For more information, contact Vanessa Osborne, Transitions Coordinator at 336-661-3115. Para Español pedir hablar con Betsy Vera at 336-850-0364.