THE DOWNTOWN SCHOOL
A Systemwide Theme/Magnet School for Multiple Intelligences and Hands-on Learning
Pre-kindergarten through Grade 8
601 N. Cherry Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Phone: (336) 703-4125
Andrew Lester-Niles, Principal
Visit the official school web site.
The Downtown School's mission is to be a catalyst for students to become lifelong learners and responsible citizens through the combined efforts of the school, parents, business partners and the community.
- We are unique in that we offer programs for students PreK through grade 8.
- Our philosophy of the Multiple Intelligences is followed in all grades and is incorporated in each of our classrooms.
- As a part of our open classroom design, our classes are grouped as pods. Students interact with various grade levels for learning opportunities.
- Each class has a maximum of 15 students.
- We “loop” our elementary students (K-1, 2-3, 4-5); the students keep the same teacher for those two grades.
- Parents are required to volunteer an average of one hour per child per week.
- Our families must live in Forsyth County as well as live or work within a 3 mile radius of the school in order to apply for the lottery. Therefore, school bus transportation is not offered.
- The YMCA offers a fee based Extended Care Program for K-8 students beginning at 7am and until 6pm.
- Our Preschool Program’s tuition is based on a half day or a full day rate; as well as extended care before and after school.
Directions to The Downtown School
From Business I-40, take Cherry St. exit; turn north on Cherry St. School is on corner of 6th & Cherry; turn right immediately past building into parking lot. Entrance is on Cherry St.