What Need Does It Address?
- Forsyth County is the lowest of North Carolina's major urban areas in local teacher supplement pay.
- Approximately 15% of our teachers leave our schools each year (540 teachers).
- Currently Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools has about 30 unfilled positions for licensed teachers.
How Will It Be Used?
- It's dedicated to increasing Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School's local supplement for classroom teachers.
- The increase will range from $2,000 - $3,000 more per teacher, per year.
- Will lower the Forsyth County property tax rate 1 penny.
What Is Exempt?
- Groceries or unprepared foods
- Prescription Medication
- Motor Vehicle and Home Sales
- Other exemptions as listed within the legislation
Estimated $13 million in a year
Projected to increase to over $14.3 million by 2025
Increase in Taxes
Sales vs. Property
Sales Tax Property Tax