Countdown to K
Kindergarten is an exciting time for children and parents. It's also a time filled with many questions as parents get ready to see their children go off to school for the first time. We want to make this process as easy as possible, because school should be fun from the first day on.
Children who will be 5 years old on or before August 31, 2020, may enroll in kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Find out your residential school and zone. If you don’t know it, you can look it up on our School Locator or call the Student Assignment office at 336-748-3302.
- You need to enroll at your residential school. There are two ways to enroll:
- You may begin the enrollment process online beginning February 1, 2020. The link will be provided on the WSFCS Home Page and here as soon as it is available. Then go to your residential school for the Countdown to Kindergarten event on February 20, 2020 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. to complete the online enrollment process. School tours will also be available during these hours.
- OR, simply attend the Countdown to Kindergarten event on February 20, 2020 at your residential school between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. You will have access to computers to enroll your child. School tours will also be available during these hours.
When you come to the Countdown to Kindergarten event at your residential school, please bring:
- your child's birth certificate and your photo ID
- your proof of address (gas, electric or water bill or a lease or mortgage
- your child's immunization records
*You will receive the NC Health Assessment Form which must be completed by your child's doctor and returned to the school.
In addition to your residential school, families have three additional choices they may consider to help decide where your child goes to school:
1. Magnet Schools: Apply for a magnet school between March 30, 2020 and April 9, 2020.
2. In-Zone Schools: Choose from the schools within your zone. Kindergarten families choose March 30, 2020 and April 9, 2020.
3. Out-of-Zone Schools: Apply to a school outside of your zone May 4 - 15, 2020 (subject to space availability). You must provide your own transportation to out of zone schools.
FEBRUARY 21 - MARCH 30, 2020: This is the time to visit other schools in your zone, ask questions and make a decision for next year.
MARCH 30, 2020 - APRIL 9, 2020: Parents also can apply to one of our magnet schools: Ashley, Brunson, Diggs-Latham, The Downtown School, Konnoak, Mineral Springs, Speas and Moore. All but the Downtown School offer magnet-express transportation to those outside of their zones. Magnet applications are available at any elementary school and online at http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/magnet . Applications will be available starting March 30 and must be submitted by April 9. For more information, please call 727-2519.
MARCH 30, 2020 - APRIL 9, 2020: To choose a school in your zone, please go to your residential school and pick up and fill out a choice card. Rank your top 3 choices and turn them in by April 9th. You are guaranteed your residential school or one of your 3 choices. Siblings have the right to attend the same school. Transportation is provided to every student in a student's zone.
MAY 4, 2020 - MAY 15, 2020: Parents also can apply to schools outside of their residential zone between May 4 and May 15. Transfers are granted if space is available, and you must provide your own transportation. Applications will be available at every elementary school and on our Web site. Please make in-zone choices even if you plan to apply for an out-of-zone school, in case there is not space available at the out-of-zone school you desire.