WELCOME 6th and 7th GRADE
BEGINNING BAND PARENTS AND STUDENTS!
Dear Parents of Rising 6th and 7th Grade Beginning Band Students,
My name is Greg Dills and I am the director of bands at Paisley IB Magnet School. Almost all students that join beginning band have NEVER played an instrument before, so this is truly a fresh start and great opportunity for ALL 6th graders. Playing an instrument and being a part of the Paisley Band is extremely rewarding and fun! The Paisley band is a very successful and high-achieving band as well as an exciting educational opportunity.
Instrument Tryouts and Rentals will be done differently this year due to Covid-19. Please be patient with this as I am still brainstorming the best solution for everyone.Required Classroom Material (standard for every student)
- Pencil (absolutely NO pens)
- 1" three ring binder
- Standard of Excellence Book (red book, book 1)
- this is instrument specific so you can not get one at the moment because you do not know what your child is going to play
- Working instrument
- this can be an app on a smart phone or an actual metrnome
Instrument Specific Materials:
- Flute: cleaning rod, cleaning cloth
- Clarinet: swab, cork grease, three VAN DOREN reeds (Size 2 1⁄2), and reed guards/case
- Trumpets: 5C mouthpiece (typically comes with rental), valve oil, tuning slide grease, cleaning snake, and mouthpiece brush
- Trombones: 6 ½ AL mouthpiece (typically comes with rental), slide lubricant (Slide-O-Mix) and spray bottle, tuning slide grease, cleaning snake, and mouthpiece brush
- Percussion (students were selected by audition only for this instrument choice): "xylophone or bell kit” (includes set of xylophone or bells with bell stand and practice pad) and the Innovative Percussion Intermediate Mallet Pack OR VicFirth EP2 Intermediate Mallet Pack**
Beginning Band Instrument Choices
As a beginning band member, you get the option of Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion. We only allow these instruments in the beginning stages as it makes the classroom teaching more managable with the amount of time we have.
If you are interested in starting on percussion. Please contact Mr. Dills as there is prior experience required.
If you are interested in starting another band instrument other than the ones listed above such as saxophone, french horn, oboe, etc... please contact Mr. Dills to discuss the possible exceptions.
Typically we start with the four main instruments listed above to get started and then make the switches start after the Winter Concert.
PLEASE DO NOT buy an instrument without consulting Mr. Dills
about your childs instrument choice and the brand of the instrument.
Local Music Stores to RENT or PURCHASE from!
You are NOT required to purchase from the stores below but we highly encourage to support your local music store because they support us!
1409 S Stratford Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
1325 Lewisville Clemmons Rd, Lewisville, NC 27023
Music and Arts
2609 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC 27408
Big Note Music
Mobile Repair Truck but does sell