WS/FCS is required by US Federal law (CIPA) to provide a content filtered experience for students. We accomplish this by leveraging NCDPI provided ZScaler cloud based filtering appliance and the accompanying certificate.
Why is this needed?
- The best way we can ensure our students are filtered across multiple platforms is by applying the filtering restriction to their WS/FCS account.
- When a student logs into a device with their WS/FCS account, the device is automatically steered toward the internet-based ZScaler filtering service.
- In order for the Zscaler service to work correctly, a security certificate must be installed on the device students are using.
- The Technology Services department has already applied the certificate to all devices owned and managed by WS/FCS.
- Because we cannot apply this certificate to personally owned devices, students using their WS/FCS account on a personal device will need to manually install the Zscaler certificate (Zscaler CA) in order for internet browsing to function properly.
Directions for installing the certificate can be located here:
- Microsoft Windows Devices
- Google Chromebook Devices (Freshservice KB article)
You can download the certificate using the link below: