• Student Services FAQs

    I want to know about scholarships available for my senior - - Send an email to rjrstudentservices@gmail.com with the word "Newsletter" in the subject line.  Then during the course of the senior year, you will receive information via email about scholarship opportunities. These letters are also posted on the website when updated.  As we only publish new scholarship opportunities per newsletter, previous newsletters remain on the website.  Please follow the newsletter instructions when seeking school nominations or applying for scholarship opportunities.  The RJ Reynolds Scholarship newsletters include a sampling of scholarship opportunities that are available from colleges and universities but is in no way a comprehensive list.  Please refer to college websites for individual college scholarships.

    My student wants to meet with a college representative – - Check the Headlines section of the website for an up-to-date list of college representatives who are visiting Reynolds. Visits will be in person or virtual.

    I like to follow social media - - Twitter   Facebook   Instagram  Please see Social Media Accounts  

    I like text messages to keep up with information by grade level – - For the 2021-22 school year REMIND codes are posted in the Guidance section of the website.

    I need to sign my student up for Driver’s Education - - Register your student online at http://ncdrivingschool.com/ or call 1-800-375-6550. TIP: Spaces in the class fill quickly.  Find the session that works for your student (must be 14.5 years old by the first day of class) and set an alarm for the day registration opens.

    My student has completed Driver’s Education and needs the Driver’s Eligibility Certificate signed - - A parent needs to come to Student Services with the certificate during the business hours of 8:00a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or during the summer, contact Student Services at 336-703-4146 to arrange a time for the certificate. No certificates can be issued or signed without a parent with a valid ID.

    My student takes medication at school - - Complete a medication form and bring medicine and form to Student Services.

    My student will be going on a trip and needs assignments while he/she is away – - Get permission from the principal and have your student request the assignments from his/her teachers.

    My senior needs to send his/her transcripts to colleges – -  Follow the transcript request process on the website Transcripts-Current Students  and complete the Transcript Request Form (if necessary).  Current Students, please note that transcripts that also need a recommendation letter may take up to 4 weeks to process.

    My graduate needs to request his/ her transcript – - Complete the RJR Former Student Transcript request form on the website - Graduates and Former Students tab

    My senior needs to send his/her ACT or SAT scores to colleges – - Your senior should request official score reports from www.act.org or www.collegeboard.org to be sent directly to the colleges.  NOTE: ACT, SAT and AP test scores are not on the Reynolds HS transcript and cannot be sent from the school. 

    My student needs to take the ACT or SAT – - Students can register online at www.act.org or www.collegeboard.org. Students with free/reduced lunch can see the Guidance clerk for payment vouchers. The ACT and SAT  testing schedules can be found on the Student Services website page.  The Reynolds High School code is: 344445.  Students with approved accommodations should contact their counselor, if they have questions.

    My student is going to play a sport in college – - Register with the NCAA eligibility center at www.eligibilitycenter.org after the completion of your student’s junior year.  Once a student is registered, the NCAA notifies us to upload a transcript.  Students with free/reduced lunch are eligible for a fee waiver.  He/she should email his/her counselor after completing the form so the counselor can enter the fee waiver code on-line.
    Questions about Student/Parent Learning Resources -- Power School Parent Portal, Home Base Apps, Student Email, Canvas Learning Resources in the Families/Community tab.  Helpful Hint: There are instructional videos and how to guides in this section. 
    When does my student eat lunch? – - Lunch occurs during 3rd period.  Reynolds is a closed campus, so students cannot leave for lunch or order from lunch delivery services.
    Bus and/or Attendance Questions – - Go to the Main Office or call 336-703-4145.




Last Modified on July 24, 2022