The purpose of Title IV, Part A, according to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), is:
“... to improve students’ academic achievement by increasing the capacity of the states, local educational agencies, schools, and local communities to
- provide all students with access to a well-rounded education;
- improve school conditions for student learning; and
- improve the use of technology in order to improve the academic achievement and digital literacy of all students.
Three WS/FCS divisions use the funds to support students and instructional staff: Instructional Services, Student Services, and Technology.
According to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESSA)
SEC. 4201. PURPOSE
- PURPOSE.—The purpose of this part is to provide opportunities for communities to establish or expand activities in community learning centers that:
- provide opportunities for academic enrichment, including providing tutorial services to help students, particularly students who attend low-performing schools, to meet the challenging state academic standards.
- offer students a broad array of additional services, programs, and activities, such as youth development activities, service learning, nutrition and health education, drug and violence prevention programs, counseling programs, arts, music, physical fitness and wellness programs, technology education programs, financial literacy programs, environmental literacy programs, mathematics, science, career and technical programs, internship or apprenticeship programs, and other ties to an in-demand industry sector or occupation for high school students that are designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program of participating students; and
- offer families of students served by community learning centers opportunities for active and meaningful engagement in their children’s education, including opportunities for literacy and related educational development.