The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education has adopted a dress code for all students. We believe it is important that students wear clothes that are compatible with an effective learning environment. If a student’s dress is not appropriate or if it disrupts learning, the Assistant Principal/Principal may require the student to change his or her clothing. The “dollar bill” rule will be enforced!
This includes the following:
• All straps on shirts or tops must be the width of a dollar bill.
• Shorts, skirts, dresses, etc. may not be shorter than the length of a dollar bill when the dollar bill is placed at the bottom of the kneecap. To measure, put the dollar bill at the bottom of the kneecap and hold the dollar bill vertically for measurement.
Some examples of prohibited dress or appearance include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Clothing which contains advertisements for tobacco, alcohol or drugs; pictures or graphics of nudity; words that are profane, lewd, vulgar, or indecent or offensive.
• Halter or bare midriff tops, or bare midriffs, racerbacks shirts
• Spaghetti straps or tank tops; Strapless shirts or tube tops
• Bare feet
• Short shorts or skirts with or without leggings must meet the dollar bill requirement. Leggings are not allowed unless they are accessorized, so they meet the dollar bill requirement.
• Pants, jeans, and/or slacks that sag below the waist
• Hats, caps, bandanas or bandanas that look like headbands tied on the head as a covering that is not related to religious beliefs
• Visible combs, picks, brushes, etc.
• Underwear showing or worn as outerwear
• Provocative, revealing attire that exposes cleavage and/or leggings/jeggings that are skin tight emphasizing private body forms (female and male) are prohibited.
• Any symbols, styles or attire frequently associated with gangs, intimidation, violence or violent groups about which students at a particular school have been notified
• NO BEACH WEAR, SLEEPWEAR OR HOUSE SHOES.
• To ensure the safety of all students, it is highly encouraged that students wear shoes with a secured back.
• We highly recommend no jeans with holes. If they are to be worn, holes must meet the dollar bill rule and must be appropriate for school. Tights worn under holes will not satisfy dress code requirement.