Choice & Magnet Specialty Programs
CTE High School ProgramsWS/FCS is proud of the 14 career academies and the varied career pathways offered to our students in our communities.
What are Career Academies?
- Two-to-Four year programs operating within different high schools
- Specialized courses, created by educators and industry specialists, supplement and enrich the traditional school curriculum.
- All academies offer industry-recognized credentialing opportunities at the time of course completion.
What is an Internship?
- Many of our programs require an internship in the respective area of study for completion.
- Interns have the opportunity to explore potential careers and build transferable skills.
- Employers can use interns to add value to their organization and build their talent pipeline.
Depending on the type of Academy, internships vary in length and whether they are paid or unpaid.More information can be found on the CTE Career Academies webpage
Zone Choice Programs: AVID
AVID schools: AVID (Advanced Via Individual Determination) is a college readiness system designed to increase the number of students who enroll and persist in four-year colleges and universities. AVID's proven learning support structure incorporates teaching and learning methodologies in the critical areas of Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading (WICOR).
It is designed to integrate into the daily routines and curriculum of all elementary classrooms across entire grade levels to impact schoolwide structures. The intentional systemic approach provides different resources for different levels, settings, and infrastructures in order to support all students on their path to college readiness. To learn more about AVID, visit the AVID website.
- Carver High School
- Mineral Springs Middle School
- Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy