Foster Care Enrollment & Best Interest Determination (BID) Process
Step 1: Provide NC Best Interest Determination Forms
Before enrolling a student who is in DSS custody into a WS/FC school, the following forms are to be completed by DSS and emailed to Rblang@wsfcs.k12.nc.us:
*link for school locator https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Page/121458
- Verification of Custody letter (DSS 5760),
- Notification of Placement Change Form (DSS 5133),
- Immediate Enrollment Form (DSS 5135)
Step 2: Schedule a Best Interest Determination Meeting (BID)
DSS is responsible for initiating, scheduling, and hosting BID meetings.
- Please contact all non-WS/FCS meeting participants for availability before finalizing a BID meeting using the scheduling app. The scheduling app will generate a virtual meeting link.
- The WS/FCS ESSA Foster Care POC is responsible for inviting the appropriate WS/FCS staff to the meeting and sending the virtual meeting link out to indicated participants.
To schedule a BID with WS/FCS meeting click here.
Step 3: BID Meeting Process
During the meeting, the DSS Foster Care Social Worker is responsible for completing the DSS 5137 Best Interest Determination form (or DSS 5245 Child Education Status as applicable).
After the meeting, the DSS Foster Care Social Worker is responsible for sending the completed DSS 5137 to the WS/FCS ESSA Foster Care POC within 1 day of the decision. Email to Rblang@wsfcs.k12.nc.us
The start date and transportation for students are determined during the BID meeting.
Step 4: Final Step
Following the BID meeting, the WS/FCS ESSA Foster Care POC ensures the completed Verification of Custody Letter (DSS 5760), the Immediate Enrollment Form (DSS 5135) and additional information as provided is sent to the determined WS/FC school.
*If the student has not yet been registered with WS/FCS, the foster parent or DSS can enroll the student. To enroll online in a WS/FC school click here.