Rowland Hill Latham Elementary School opened on November 11, 1957 in West Salem. It was named for Mr. Rowland Hill Latham, who served as Superintendent of Forsyth County Schools from 1910-1933.The original school had 237 pupils, with class sizes averaging 27 students each. The school served students from the Ardmore and Granville communities. At first Latham's location was considered difficult and dangerous since it was on the edge of natural barriers, the rough Peters Creek Valley and a ravine separating Ardmore from Granville. In 1965, a mesh cage was constructed over Peters Creek Parkway for students to cross when walking to school. (This does not exist today.) In 1967, PTA fathers created letters from scrap metal to create the name of the school to hang on the front of the building, which still adorn the front of the school.
Last Modified on September 18, 2010