1. Read and write numbers to 30.
Teacher suggests: Practice calling out numbers for your child to write. Write numbers as far as your child can but watch for reversals.
2. Count objects in sets to 30
Teacher suggests: Match objects to numbers.
3. Compare and order numbers to 10
* Teacher suggests: Use index cards to make flash cards for calling and ordering numbers.
4. Count to 100. Count often in the car starting at different numbers like: 5, 6, 7, 8.... or 11, 12, 13, 14....
Count backwards 10, 9, 8, 7, ...
Count by 10's, 5's and 2's
5. Use ordinal numbers 1st- 10th
* Teacher suggests lining up toys to go out the door and asking your child to point to third, sixth, and so on.
6. Understand and compare numbers with vocabulary of more than , less than , and equal to
7. Calendar Skills
Know the months of the year and what comes before and after.
*Teacher suggests : Get a calendar at home for the child to write important dates and weekly activities.
Talk about what month comes next and before. What month is Valentine's Day in, your birthday, and the last day of school?
8. Identify plane shapes and 3-dimensional shapes, (ex. circle, sphere, square, cube, triangle, pyramid)
*Teacher suggests: Talk about shapes in the environment.
Count the (corners) vertices, sides, points, flat surface and curves
9. Describe and Compare likenesses and differences (How things are alike and different, and reason why...size, weight,color and length
10. Understand simple graphs
11. Sort and classify objects by color, shape, size, number amount, texture, length and weight
*Teacher suggests: Sort cans in the pantry, sort toy cars, sort stuffed animals, sort letters by capital, or lowercase.
12.Add numbers to 10 using objects. ex. Parents have seen children illustrating this on # of the day. girl has 3 dolls and boy has 5 cars. How many do they have in all...# answered circled
13. Subtract objects from a group of 10 or less. ex. 7 cars - 3 cars= 4 cars
14. Equations ex. Fast facts up to five
addition 4 + 1 = 5
and subtraction 5 -2 = 3
15. ixl.com is a great tool that has been provided free by the Sherwood Forest PTA
Rhonda Lynn Byerly Kindergarten Teacher
Sherwood Forest Elementary School
Yorkshire Road, Winston Salem NC 27106