PTA Committees - what we do**Due to the current pandemic, many of these committees and volunteer opportunities are on hold until further notice.**The SFES PTA is involved and gives back to the school in the classroom through…
The SFES PTA provides School and Teacher Support through…
- Art Volunteers provide assistance in the Art classroom by passing out materials, helping students complete their masterpieces and helping prepare materials for display in the hallways and art shows.
- Computer Lab Volunteers assist Kindergartner and first graders in the Computer Lab on a rotation basis.
- EOQ/EOG Testing Volunteers monitor the halls and proctor tests.
- Listening Buddies provide one-on-one time for students referred to this program by the guidance counselor.
- Math Superstars Volunteers help children expand their math skills and understanding by leading the class through math problems.
- Media Center Volunteers shelve books and help children select and check out books.
- Room Parents assist the teacher in planning classroom special activities and are responsible for coordinating parent volunteers in the classroom.
The SFES PTA provides Parent and Community Support through…
- Grounds Improvement is an important part of the PTA. We want to be proud of our school and the image we present to our neighbors and community.
- School Improvement Team provides leadership and direction for improvements to the school curriculum and assessments. The PTA has three representatives on the team.
- Hospitality is responsible for the Back to School Teacher Breakfast, Kindergarten Lunch Desserts and coordinating the Wednesday Teacher Breakfasts.
- Staff Appreciation Coordinator organizes events during Staff Appreciation Week, including the staff luncheon.
- Teacher Cards provides teachers with a small token of our appreciation as they celebrate their special milestones to show our love and appreciation.
- Book Nook Coordinator is responsible for organizing books in our Book Nook.
The SFES PTA supports School Events & Publications such as…
- Advocacy Coordinator offers an opportunity for education and networking for our families.
- Clothes Closet provides clothing for children requiring a change of clothes during the school day.
- Community Outreach is important to SFES. We teach our children the value of giving back by sponsoring school supplies and canned food drives. We donate a portion of our Coin Drive proceeds to a charity voted upon by the children.
- New Parent Support is important to the PTA. Our New Parent Support committee is dedicated to easing the transitions of new parents through supporting and providing programs such as Kinder Camp, Kindergarten Class Ice Cream Socials, New Parent Brunch and Lunch with your Kindergartner.
- Parent Advisory Council Representative serves as a representative of SFES to the District Superintendent. They convey our concerns to the “top” and share information with us about district changes and policies.
- Safe Routes to School is critical for our children who walk to school. This committee works hard to advocate for pedestrian safety in the school zone and sponsors “Walk to School Days” which encourage families to get out and walk.
- School Tours for prospective families are an opportunity for us to share all that we love about SFES.
- Sunshine Committee provides a little bit of “sunshine” to those students who are in the hospital, have broken bones or are dealing with a death in the family
The SFES PTA Fundraising results in better opportunities for our children…
- Career Fair is an opportunity for 3rd through 5th graders to hear about professional opportunities. Parent and community volunteers share their experiences and excitement about their careers.
- Commencement is an important milestone for our 5th graders. The ceremony is a celebration of their accomplishments.
- Field Day is a “don’t miss it” event with friendly competition among classes and a teacher tug-of-war.
- Fitness/Dental/Vision Screenings provide support for the nurses and hygienists running the screenings at the school.
- Reflections is a contest sponsored by the National PTA celebrating students efforts in the visual arts, dance, literature, music composition and film. All children are encouraged to participate and may advance through levels of competition from school, council, state and national.
- Science Fair is a highlight of the SFES school year. As one of our themes, the Science Fair is required for 4th and 5th graders and optional for all other grades.
- Spirit Week is a week dedicated to showing and sharing our Sherwood Forest Spirit.
- Yearbook is published in May. All parents are encouraged to take photographs of classroom and school activities and submit them to the Yearbook Editor. Yearbooks and signing sessions are popular with the children and teachers.
- Book Fair proceeds benefit the library. Children and their families have the opportunity to browse new and used books for sale.
- Family Fun Night offers a night of fun for the family. Games, a haunted house, music, bounce houses; costume contest, concessions and dinner are just a few of the fun things in store for your family at Family Fun Night.
- Original Works turns your child’s art into items that you can wear and share. From magnets to tote bags, your child will enjoy seeing their art displayed.
- Coin Drive part of Giving Week really gets the students involved. Don’t forget to save up those coins your child will be asking for them!
- Skatehaven Nights are loved by the children. They enjoy socializing and skating along with friends on these low-key child-friendly nights.
- Spirit Wear is your child’s opportunity to show their SFES spirit. Items are available through pre-order and at select SFES events.
Last Modified on September 10, 2020