North Carolina Essential Standards for 7th Grade Social Studies
(1) 7.H.1 Use historical thinking to analyze various modern societies.
(2) 7.H.2 Understand the implications of global interactions.
- 7.H.2.1 Analyze the effects of social, economic, military and political conflict among nations, regions, and groups (e.g. war, genocide, imperialism and colonization).
- 7.H.2.2 Evaluate the effectiveness of cooperative efforts and consensus building among nations, regions, and groups (e.g. Humanitarian efforts, United Nations, World Health Organization, Non Governmental Organizations, European Union and Organization of American States).
- 7.H.2.3 Explain how increased global interaction accelerates the pace of innovation in modern societies (e.g. advancements in transportation, communication networks and business practices).
- 7.H.2.4 Analyze the economic, political, and social impacts of disease (e.g. smallpox, malaria, bubonic plague, AIDS and avian flu) in modern societies.
Geography and Environmental Literacy
(3) 7.G.1 Understand how geography, demographic trends, and environmental conditions shape modern societies
(4) 7.G.2 Apply the tools of a geographer to understand modern societies and regions.
- Economics and Financial Literacy
(5) 7.E.1 Understand the economic activities of modern societies and regions.
- Civics and Governance
(6) 7.C&G.1 Understand the development of government in modern societies and regions.
(7) 7.C.1 Understand how cultural values influence relationships between individuals, groups and political entities in
modern societies and regions.