Applying to a Magnet School is Easy
- Get to know the magnet schools by visiting those schools which interest you, reading descriptions about each school or by exploring the schools online.
- Fill out an application for the school of your choice. Applications are available at the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Administrative Offices at 475 Corporate Square Drive in Winston-Salem or in the paper application section listed below. Applications are for Forsyth County residents only.
- Online Applications will be accepted beginning January 1, 2018. The deadline for applications is January 22, 2018, at 4:30pm. All applications received after the deadline will be added to a waiting list.
- Paper Applications: Complete and submit an application form by the deadline to Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Magnet Schools Office, P.O. Box 2513, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27102. A lottery may be held if there are more applications to attend magnet schools than spaces available.
- Look for a letter to arrive in mail notifying you if your child has been accepted.
Special Enrollment InformationWith the exception of the Downtown School, magnet schools are open to students throughout Forsyth County. The Downtown School is open to students in prekindergarten through grade 8 who are from families who live or work in the central urban area of Winston-Salem, or who work at the school's primary business partner, Reynolds American Inc.
Preference for magnet school enrollment is given to students who live in the magnet school's residential attendance area, with the exception of Atkins Academic and Technology High School, John F. Kennedy High School, and Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy, which have no residential attendance area for high school students.Transportation
Transportation is provided to all magnet schools except for the Downtown School. There will be Magnet Express Bus service for students who live outside the residential zone of their chosen magnet school. For more information about Winston-Salem/Forsyth County magnet schools, call the Magnet Schools Office at 727-2519.Still Have Questions?
We're ready to answer them. Call 336-727-2519 (M-F 8:00-4:30) and we'll be happy to assist you. School-specific questions may be directed to your school of choice.