PARKLAND MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL
Internationalism and the Arts/Authorized IB World School
1600 Brewer Rd.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127Phone: (336) 771-4700Fax: (336) 771-4703Spencer Hardy, Principalshardy@wsfcs.k12.nc.usParkland is an authorized IB World School offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. From the IB aims and objectives, Parkland created its magnet school theme of Internationalism, and the Arts. All students enrolled at Parkland are exposed to the rigorous standards demanded of this internationally recognized program.The IB program's philosophy is infused throughout all subject areas using the magnet school objectives:The magnet program is open to students from throughout Forsyth County. Transportation is provided by Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools to any student who fills out a Magnet School Application.
Parkland's program continues the IB offerings at Paisley Magnet School's International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme. Students also can choose to enroll in Parkland's pre-International Baccalaureate program for ninth and 10th-graders. To be prepared for the IB Diploma Program, which begins in grade 11, students must have completed the following courses by their sophomore year:Honors courses in the subjects listed above are the best courses to prepare students for success in the IB Diploma Program.
- Teachers will present curriculum to students through experiential, inquiry-based, interdisciplinary lessons.
- Students will be required to think and reason at high levels – ask and answer analytical questions.
- Students will develop advanced research skills.
- Students will develop mastery of written and verbal communication of ideas.
- Faculty and staff will educate the social, physical, and cognitive well-being of each student to prepare them for involvement in community and extra-curricular activities.
- Students will recognize the roles and responsibilities of being a member of the International Community.
- Students and teachers will integrate cutting edge technology into their work products.
For more information about the International Baccalaureate program, go to www.ibo.org. Students who live in the residential district for Parkland must fill out a "declaration of intent" (see below) to register for the IB Diploma Program.Directions to Parkland
- Geometry; Algebra II and/or Pre-Calculus
- Biology; Chemistry or Physics; Environmental Science
- Honors or Seminar Social Studies
- Honors or Seminar English II
- French, German or Spanish at Level III is highly recommended
- Arts courses are recommended but not required
From I-40, take Peters Creek Parkway exit. Turn right on Peters Creek Parkway south to Brewer Road, turn left. School is on left. Office is on right in main entrance facing Brewer Road.
Last Modified on October 14, 2015