Parrot Partners: Clemmons Elementary School
Classroom Instructional Volunteers1) What do Parrot Partners do?
We're so glad you asked! Parrot Partners are caring parents, grandparents, and community members who are paired with specific classroom teachers at Clemmons Elementary School and commit to come to the school 30 minutes to one hour a week (or more if you're willing!) to work with a student or group of students from that class to reinforce critical learning skills and/or provide extensions of classroom lessons. The classroom teacher will provide plans for the volunteers and will assign the students to work with the volunteers when they come each week.
2) Can I volunteer in my own child's classroom?
No. Parents and grandparents will work in different classrooms from their children and grandchildren. We promise that you will find it rewarding to work in another classroom and get to know the teacher and students.
3) Can I just come once a month...or every 3rd Tuesday?
We ask all Parrot Partners to commit to coming to the classroom for their assigned time each week. If you find that you won't be able to volunteer at your assigned time one week, we ask you to communicate that to your classroom teacher partner as soon as you can.
4) Are there any special requirements to be a Parrot Partner?
All Parrot Partners must be approved as unsupervised volunteers (level 2) by the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System. This status allows you to work with students outside the classroom in the library or another place.
Other than having an approved volunteer status, our only other requirement is that you attend one of our upcoming training sessions or meet with one of us to go over the policies for the Parrot Partners program. No teaching experience is required (although welcomed!) and activities will be planned and provided by the teacher partners.
5) I think I’m interested in possibly volunteering with the Parrot Partners program. What do I do next?
If you decide you’re up for this wonderful opportunity to impact students’ learning, we’ll ask you for more information about your availability and will match you with a Clemmons Elementary class.
- Email our Parrot Partner Chair, Bethany Hooker,so that we can add you to our e mail list and let you know the dates for our information session and training sessions. This does not commit you to serve but allows us to communicate information about the program to you. We will need to have your name, email address, and phone number in the email.
- Make sure that you have been approved as an unsupervised volunteer through the WSFCS. If you haven't yet registered or need to reactivate, click here to complete the application.