Inquiry Notebooks for AB Initio French 1
You will begin to build a project notebook due at the end of each quarter as a GLP. The notebook will be an ongoing project throughout the IB course designed to enhance your learning in and out of the classroom. This project will assist in preparing for your written assignment and IB exams.
Your notebook will include the following sections:
1. Personal Dictionary (Dictionnaire Personnel)- You choose the words to include. Words may be from text, articles, class, other contexts or sources. They must be appropriate for class. Definitions and an example in context should be included. Personal comments are allowed in English.
2. Encounters (Rencontres)- Using the IB themes from the IB syllabus (see below), you must search for authentic texts, recordings, programs about these topics (IN French). They can be conversations with a native speaker, internet resources, films, books, magazine articles, and more. The focus is on intercultural understanding. The possibilities are endless. You are required to find at least 1 per week (9 per quarter) and include this document in your notebook.
3. Investigations (Investigations)- Choose 2 of your sources of information from your encounters- at least one non-internet source. Evaluate those two sources- it could be about different perspectives, points of view, how helpful or interesting they were and why.
4. Reflections (Refléxion)- Reflect on entries in your Inquiry Notebook or on your own learning and progress. This can be done in English. You must use compare/contrast, inference, evaluation and analysis in this reflection (whichever are appropriate to the topic). You must include evidence to support your conclusions. This will only be done at the end of each quarter.
5. Journal- This is a personal journal- writing about anything you want- progress on project, friends, anything. You must have at least 2 dated entries per week included. (I can tell when you do them all in one week)All writing is confidential.
Individual and Society (Appearance and character, Daily routines, Education, Food and Drink, Physical Health, Relationships, Shopping)
Leisure and Work ( Jobs, Entertainment, Holidays, Media, Transport, Technology, Sport)
Urban/Rural Development (EMERGENCIES, Environmental Concerns, Neighborhood, Physical Geography, Town and Services, Weather)
Please visit my website for more information on text types to look for.
2nd Quarter: Check ups: Nov. 14/15, Dec 4/5, Dec 16/17
Due date: Jan. 13/14
3rd Quarter: Check ups: Feb. 6/7, Feb 27/28, March 7/10
Due date: March 24/25
4th Quarter: Check ups: April 10/11, April 28/29Due date for Juniors: May 28Due date for Seniors: April 28/29