In the third grade, your child will work on skills such as (but not limited to) the following:
-area and perimeter
-mass and capacity
-adding and subtracting with regrouping
-telling time and elapsed time
-comprehension of text using the text provided
Third grade is a big year for independence. Parents can focus on guiding their child to become more responsible with their daily tasks, bringing things to and from school, and helping to build their self confidence. Parents are encouraged to keep in close contact with their child’s teacher and support their child both in and out of the classroom to ensure a successful school year!
Reading outside of school provides the additional support and encouragement that allows students to create a deep passion for reading, to deepen their comprehension skills, and to build a broad vocabulary knowledge. Reading strategies can be developed and used before, during, and after reading takes place. These strategies reinforce what your student is learning in third grade.
- Help your child organize his/her thoughts by planning what he/she wants to write. Using sticky notes or a graphic organizer will provide a visual way to accomplish this.
- Discuss family stories and history. Encourage your child to ask questions. Work together with your child to create a book, magazine, poem, short story, newspaper article, pamphlet, or other written narrative of your family’s history.
- Encourage (and help) your child to write a letter, birthday card, get well card, thinking of you card, or thank you note to family members or friends.
-10 point grading scale
-BOG test at beginning of the year
-EOQ tests at end of each quarter
-TRC 3x a year to test progress with reading and comprehension
-EOG test at end of year to see growth
Third Grade Supply List
- 1 box of 24 crayons
- 1 box washable markers OR colored pencils
- 4 dry erase markers
- 4 highlighters (different colors)
- 2 packs of pencils
- 1 pencil pouch with zipper
- 10 glue sticks
- 5 wedge/pencil top erasers
- 2 5-subject spiral notebooks
- 4 solid-colored pocket folders
- 1 1” 3-ring binder
- 2 packs wide-ruled paper
- 1 book bag with no wheels
- 1 set of earbuds for personalized learning
- 2 boxes of tissues
- 1 box plastic sandwich bags (Opt: Qt or Gal)
- 1 hand sanitizer
I will SOAR by Showing Respect, Outstanding conduct, Achievement and responsibility.
Each and everyday, this is the Eagles way.
Let’s SOAR above or beyond.