The following link, https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01001395/Centricity/Domain/38/Math%205%20Parent%20Roadmap.pdfprovides parents with more detailed information of how math is taught through Common Core instruction. The site is extremely user friendly and includes additional links to explanations about Common Core.Here is an overview to the Math Common Core Curriculum.
5th Grade Math Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Write and interpret numerical expressions.
• Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Understand the place value system.
• Perform operations with multi-digit whole
numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations—Fractions
• Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add
and subtract fractions.
• Apply and extend previous understandings
of multiplication and division to multiply and
Measurement and Data
• Convert like measurement units within a given
• Represent and interpret data.
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts
of volume and relate volume to multiplication
and to addition.
Geometry• Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve
real-world and mathematical problems.
• Classify two-dimensional figures into categories
based on their properties.