When should students take the ACT or SAT?
It is recommended that students take them in the spring of their junior year, and then once again in the fall of their senior year.What is The ACT?"The ACT is the curriculum-based college entrance exam that measures skills and knowledge in English, mathematics, reading and science. The ACT is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and includes a writing test."The state of North Carolina now pays for all juniors to take the ACT test as a result of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction's new partnership with ACT, a nonprofit organization which provides educational services such as research, assessment, information, and program management.The ACT measures student achievement in English, math, science and reading. Students will receive a score report that reveals:
* Information such as:
- Their achievement in each of the above-named academic areas
- A comparison of their scores to state and national norms
- An indication of college readiness based on their scores
- Results of an interest inventory, which shows their academic and vocational interests and goals
- Career options based on the student interests
- College size
- General admissions policy
- Approximate tuition and fees
What is the SAT?It is a 3-hr and 45 minute long college entrance assessment that tests what students know and how well they can apply what they know. It consists of a reading, mathematics, and writing section. Results are used as a predictor of college success.
- Students and parents: To help with academic, college and career planning
- Teachers: To help guide curriculum and instruction to improve student performance
- Counselors: To identify areas of student need, to assist students with college selection and career planning
- Colleges: To recruit, advise and place students