This is an award system earned when the entire class is rewarded for positive behavior. The guidelines are as follows:
- Once a merit is earned by a class, it may NOT be taken away
- A teacher may not give a merit to their own class
- Teachers will be responsible for keeping up with the number of merits earned by their class
- Teachers will reward students on the last Friday of the month as stated on the merit reward chart
- Merits carry over and are cumulative throughout the school year. For example if your class earned 12 merits the first month and earned the award for 10 merits, they will need 13 more merits to earn the award at 25 points (if that is not accomplished, there is no reward until that goal is reached)
- Merits are earned without influence from the receiving class or teacher
- Students are able to earn merits during specials or in any common areas for following routines
- All staff members will have merits to award classes, including the cafeteria staff, teaching assistants, classroom teachers, specialists and other support staff
Merit awards for the 2019/2020 School Year are:
August-September→If your class earns at least 30 merits by Monday, September 24th, they will have earned a talking lunch (may eat in the classroom) and the right to wear crazy/fun socks on Friday, September 28.
October-November→If your class earns at least 40 merits within this two month period and by Monday, Nov. 26, your class will have earned a talking lunch (may eat in the classroom), the right to wear hats on Friday, November 30, and have free draw time.
December-January→ If your class earns at least 50 merits within this two month period and by Monday, Jan. 28, they will have earned a talking lunch (may eat in the classroom) and the right to 15 minutes of extra recess on Friday, Feb. 1.
February-March→ If your class earns at least 50 merits during this two month period and by Monday, March 25, they will have earned a talking lunch (may eat in the classroom); the right to wear crazy/fun socks, and a homework pass on Thursday, March 28.
April-May→ If your class earns at least 60 merits during this two month period and by Tuesday, May 28, they will have earned a talking lunch (may eat in the classroom), a special snack (provided by the teacher), and extra recess to be awarded on Friday, May 31*. *New date TBA if this date is during the EOG.*Each month, if your class earns the amount listed for each pair of months, they will be awarded a golden merit for display in the hallway. If your class ends up with 4 golden merits (of the 5 possible) the whole class will be able to eat a picnic lunch outside with a snack provided by the teacher (date to be determined, but will occur before EOGs).