• Frequently Asked Questions And Answers For Students 

    I have turned in my copy of the WS/FCS Responsible Use Agreement (RUP) Document. Can I start bringing my device to school?

    Answer: Yes, students will be able to bring their personal device to school, provided they have a signed RUP form on file.


    I have my laptop (personal device) in class with me.  How do I get on the Internet?

     Answer: It is up to the student to connect their device to the WSFCS_Public network. Teachers or other staff members are not responsible to assist in helping students access the WS/FCS Public network. Consult the instruction documents for your device to determine how to connect it to a wireless network.  Once you join the WSFCS_Public network you will use your district provided username and password. You will also be prompted to accept the terms of service.  Read them carefully so that you will know what you are agreeing to. For more information you can visit the MLC webpage (http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/mlc)


    My computing device is not prompting me to choose a wireless network.  Is there another way to connect?

    Answer: Always consult your owner’s manual for exact directions for accessing a wireless network. See the instructions on Connecting to the WSFCS_Public Network if you need more help. 


    I just can’t get my laptop to connect to the network.  Can I get some help from someone?

    Answer:  Please consult your user manual to try and fix this issue. Connection and/or any other technical issues with personal computing devices need to be handled by the student and their parents. Teachers or other staff members are not responsible to assist in helping students access the WS/FCS Public network.

    I brought a personal computing device to class and my teacher says I can’t use it in her class.  Can I still use it?

    Answer: The teacher in the classroom has the final say on whether personal computing devices will be used.  If he or she asks you not to use your device, then you should follow those directions. 

    I want to save and print my work from my personal computing device but can’t find a printer or my student folder.  Why not?

    Answer: The wireless network that you are accessing is not the same as the one you access from a school issued computer.  In order to save or print a document, you will need to access a school computer. You will need to save your document to a flash drive or online space (i.e. Edmodo) and then access a school computer, with the teacher’s permission. You may also use your school issued email address to send files to other students or your teacher.


    My personal device was stolen when I brought it to school.  Who should I contact about this?

    Answer: When you bring your own device to school, you take risks by doing so. It is a good idea to record your device’s serial number somewhere in case it does get stolen. WS/FCS is not responsible for the theft or damage of a device while at school. Any time a theft does occur, you need to let a teacher or other staff member know so that a report can be made to the appropriate front office staff (administrator and SRO).


    Why am I being filtered on my own computer? Shouldn’t I be able to see what I want on my own device?

    Answer: Student filtering is required by federal law of all public schools.  The Children’s Protection Act (CIPA) requires all network access to be filtered, regardless of the tool you use to access it while in a public school.  The network you are using while at school belongs to WS/FCS and will be filtered.

    Am I still held responsible for the “Responsible Use Agreement” (RUA) I signed at the beginning of the year even though it is my own personal device?

    Answer:YES The RUA for WS/FCS remains in effect whenever you are on the WS/FCS network regardless of the device.  Each time you try to access the network at school, you will be prompted to accept the terms of service, which includes the RUA. Violating the terms of the RUA would be a student code of conduct violation and would be dealt with on campus with an administrator. 
    I have a data plan from a wireless provider (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc.) on my device that allows for access without having to use the WS/FCS Public network. Is this allowable?

    Answer: All students are require to use the WSFCS_Public Network to access the Internet for the instructional purposes associated with MLCs.


    Will there be a penalty to my grade if I do not have a device of my own?

    Answer:  NO. Personal devices are never required. Teachers will find alternate means of accessing digital resources in the classroom for students who do not have access to a personal device or who choose not to take part in this program. Also, schools may have supplemental devices available for students to use.