Schoolhouse Radio... Time for Class!
Our Radio Broadcasting program at the Career Center has been granted a charter for the first high school chapter of the National Sportscaster and Sportswriters Association (NSSA) in the United States.
Membership is open to every Career Center student interested in learning more about the history and profession of sports broadcasting and sports writing.
We are a work in progress! The NSSA charter members:
Tomas Villalba Portel
The advisor is Jeffrey Griffin.
- Andrew, Tomas and Brett are currently working on demo CD's (including play-by-play, color commentary, sports news and public address announcing) to be evaluated by members of the NSSA during the national convention in Salisbury.
- For our fourth outing, Sunday, April 12, we joined Winston-Salem State University baseball play-by-play announcer Ken Winfrey for the Rams' victory over Bluefield State at BB&T Ballpark. The Rams have remained red-hot and recently claimed their fifth consecutive CIAA championship. Congratulations Rams!
- During the third event of the year, Thursday, March 5, we were the envy of the Tie-Dye Nation! The folks at IMG World allowed us to join Stan Cotten and men's basketball head coach Danny Manning for the Wake Forest Coaches Show, broadcast from IMG World headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem. We also received a private tour IMG before hitting the airwaves.
- For our second adventure, we spent a few hours with Kenny Beck, WXII Sports Anchor, Wednesday evening, November 19. We learned how to put together a sportscast for television, sat in the control room for the 6:00 PM broadcast and then got to take-over the set while everybody else took a break!
- Our first meeting was Tuesday, November 4. We shared dinner and conversation with Dan Collins, author, musician and long-time sports journalist with the Winston-Salem Journal. Dan is the Man - and a legend among sports journalists covering Winston-Salem, North Carolina and the Atlantic Coast Conference.