CTE Advanced Studies-Agriculture
CTE Advanced Agriculture Course Syllabus
Instructor: Ms. Rachel Miller/Mr. Rick Gardin Telephone: 336-703-6776
Email: RAMiller@wsfcs.k12.nc.us Co-curricular Student Organization: FFA
Planning Period: 1st (Fall), 3rd (Spring) Office: 406
Learning Lab: Wednesdays and by appointment
Course Description: This culminating course is for juniors and seniors who have earned two technical credits, one of which is a completer course, in one Career Cluster. The Advanced Studies course must augment the content of the completer course and prepare students for success in transitioning to postsecondary education and future careers. Students work under the guidance of a teacher with expertise in the content of the completer course in collaboration with community members, business representatives, and other school-based personnel. The four parts of the course include writing a research paper, producing a product, developing a portfolio, and delivering a presentation. Students demonstrate their abilities to use 21st century skills. FFA career development events (CDE), community service, and leadership activities provide the opportunity to apply essential standards and workplace readiness skills through authentic experiences.
Basic Class Rules:
1. Be ON TIME! – To class, for field trips, etc.
2. Please RAISE YOUR HAND to be recognized.
3. PARTICIPATE!! – This includes coming to class on time! “I don’t want to get dirty” is not an acceptable reason to not participate.
4. Follow directions the FIRST time they are given.
5. Act RESPONSIBLY, SAFELY and RESPECTFULLY – This includes acting like you have some sense. Also – cheating and plagiarism will NOT be tolerated!
6. NO horse-playing in or around the classroom, greenhouse, and tools/equipment
7. Choose to do the RIGHT thing – Use good judgment and make good decisions. I believe in you.
One 1.5 inch 3-ring binder
Loose leaf paper (NO spiral bound notebooks)
One set of colored pencils (more than 8 colors in preferred)
Blue or black pens
FFA Dues $15
Quarter Grading Scale:
Please return signed by _________________________________ for a grade!
Parent’s Signature: ____________________________ Student’s Signature: ___________________________
CTE Advanced Agriculture Studies Contract
Dear Advanced Studies Students and Parents:
Advanced Agriculture is an upper level class which culminates the information and knowledge learned in previously taken agriculture classes into a semester long project which may include, but is not limited to, a research paper, producing a product or portfolio, and delivering a presentation. Requirements for this course:
· Students must have completed at least 2 Agriculture courses, one of which is a completer course (Horticulture II or Environmental and Natural Resources II)
· Join and be an active member of the FFA by:
o Paying the $15 membership dues
o Attending at least 3 of the 5 FFA meetings held during the semester
o Participating in a Career Development Event (CDE ) of choice at the Northwest Regional Rally on May 5, 2015 and the State FFA Convention in Raleigh, NC held on June 16-18, 2015
o Attending any after school CDE practice sessions that may be needed
· Students will work independently in the class time provided daily on their CDE of choice, but will be expected to complete some project material on their own outside of school. The teacher will also help the students in preparation for their chosen CDE.
· Students will assist the teacher in any task or assignment the teacher deems necessary:
o Assisting other students with assignments
o Watering the plants in the greenhouse/raised beds
o Assisting in the agricultural department plant sale
o Assisting in Agricultural Day
By signing this form, you agree that you will meet the requirements of this course and understand that failure to complete all of the above requirements will be a detriment to your final grade. If you have any questions regarding this course and/or its requirements, please do not hesitate to contact the Agricultural Department.
Rachel Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org _____________________________________________________________
Rick Gardin – email@example.com ______________________________________________________________
Student’s Signature:__________________________________ Date:__________________________
Parent’s Signature: __________________________________ Date: ___________________________