Child Nutrition Application Process
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School’s Child Nutrition Department is committed to providing our students well balanced attractive meals, superior customer service, and nutrition education that will inspire our community to engage in a healthy lifestyle.Child Nutrition Workers include:Food Service Supervisor Trainees, Kitchen Assistants and Temp-to-Hire Kitchen Assistants.
Items to Gather Before Applying
- Employment history (complete dates MM/YYYY, contact info)
- Resume, cover letter and other supporting documents
- Personal and Professional References
Application Process for Child Nutrition Positions
- WS/FCS hires Child Nutrition workers directly and through a temp-to-hire process.
- Please complete a classified application.
- Applications are available at the Administrative Center (475 Corporate Square Dr., Winston-Salem), or Child Nutrition Office (2266 Marble St, Winston-Salem) - map
- or downloaded and printed here - Classified Employment Application.
- You can also apply on-line by searching our Job Board for 'Generic' positions and submitting an on-line application.
- Please review each form for accuracy and ensure that they are signed and dated on both the front and back if applicable.
- Return your fully completed application to the receptionist at the Administrative Center or Child Nutrition Office.
- To be considered for a Supervisor Trainee position
- one must have a high school diploma
- two full-time years experience or the equivalent in the Food Service industry.
- one full-time year in a Supervisory role.
- Applications are kept in an active status for a period of 3 months.
Application Process for Child Nutrition Substitute Positions
- WS/FCS has partnered with Winston Salem Personnel Group to fill our need for substitute Child Nutrition workers.
- Alternatively, if you would like to sub instead of working full-time, please contact Winston Salem Personnel Group at 336.768.4040.
- Follow their application instructions and contact them directly to let them know of your interest.
Each worker is provided the necessary training to complete their assignments.
Kitchen Assistant requirements:
- Understand and follow instructions
- Experience working with food
- Have good customer service skills
- Have the ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Perform simple math calculations and the ability to follow recipes
Here are the Supervisor requirements:
- Have general computer skills
- Be able to perform simple math calculations
- Have supervisory experience
- Be able to coach and train staff
- Be able to give and receive instructions
The requirements are as follows:
- Attend a three-four hour New Hire Orientation
- Successfully complete a criminal background check
- Pass a drug screening
- Be free of TB and completion of a health certificate
- Be able to follow simple instructions and follow recipes
- Physical requirments include: lifting up to 35 lbs, bending, reaching, standing, and walking unassisted