PPT for Bones/Skeletal Unit:
Friday 10/8/10 - PBS.org Video: "The Venom Cure" -Snake Venom in Medical Research(tissues/blood clotting)
PBS.org Video - Finish
Drill: What is an Osteoblast? Osteoclast?
PSAT: 1st pd 8:55-12:30
Chp5 Rvw Pkt: In class work.
Drill: In long bones, what is the Diaphysis? Epiphysis?
Microscope Lab: Muscle tissue characteristics(striated/non, volunt/involunt., etc)
Drill: In long bones, where is the periosteum located? Endosteum?
1) quick PPT lecture w/Notes: Bone markings and Structure
2) Anatomy of Bones -wksht/diagrams (No e-file yet)
3) Chp.5 Rvw Pkt if finished above.
Drill: Haversian Canal...What is it? Canaliculi....What are they?
1) QUIZ - 10 Quest. (Muscle Tissue)
2) quick PPT lecture w/Notes: Bone formation & Bone Repair
3) Diagram process of bone formation(p. 121), Diagram process of bone repair (p. 124)
briefly explain each step of the process.
7th pd. "1918 Flu pandemic" video w/wksht" due to absence.
Drill: What happens during a compound fracture? What is a "Hematoma"?
1) Slideshow: Fracture x-rays; intro into skeletal bone names by identifying broken bone
2) Skull Bones wksht: Intro into identification of skull bones w/book
Drill: What is the name of the skull suture that divides the parietal bones into left & right halves?
What is the name of the skull suture that is behind the frontal bone and marks the skull into front and back halves (Kind of)? Hint: remember your planes of dissection from 1st of year; sagittal, transverse, coronal.
1) Skull-labeling wksht: discuss answers w/projector
2) "Stanley the Skeleton" - 5 min. video intro to body skeletal bones
Drill: What is a foramen? Give a "large" example in the skull.
What is a Condyle? Give an example on the skull.
1) Quiz Rvw: Drill Questions (10/12-10/20)
2) Chp. Rvw wkshts - classwork
1) Chp.Rvw wkshts - go over answers
2) PPT: Fetal skull & Vertabrae
3) Chp Rvw Pkts
Drill: What factors influence/promotes bone growth? Answer: Gravity, hormones, Stress(mechanical)
1) QUIZ: Drill Questions (10/12-10/20)
2)"Space Bones" reading; Gravity influences on bone and astronauts
3) Human growth hormone PPT; effects on bone & abuse on body /bodybuilding
Drill: What shape is the sphenoid bone of the skull?
What is the "sella turcica" of the sphenoid?
1) Chp.5 Rvw PKT - classwork, pp. 61-67 DUE Weds.
1) Chp. Rvw PKT. DUE! (pp. 61-67)
2) Book work: P.187 Rvw Questions #1-14 (Question & answer)
(No 7th pd-tornado drill)
1) Bone Bingo - Skull bones reinforcement
1) PPT w/student notes - Vertebrae & Bony Thorax
2) Last 15 min. of class - Chapter Rvw Pkt
Drill: How many cervical vertebrae are there? Thoracic? Lumbar?
(Hint: Remember your general eating times- 7am, 12pm, 5 pm)
Videos: 1)F.O.P; "Stoneman's disease". 2)Lumbar puncture 3)Bone biopsy
Extra Credit: Medical Issue of Bones. 1 1/2 paragraph summary (in your words) of topic that interests you which is relevant to bones/skeleton. +5 pnts E.C. on Bones Test: Ex. if make 90% on test, + 5 E.C. = 95%.
Sample topics: Cancer of Bone, osteoporosis, scoliosis, "brittle bone" disease, Bone biopsy procedure.
Drill: How are the "true" ribs defined? False Ribs? Floating ribs? and how many floating ribs?
1) Complete Chp. Review pk; pp. 68-72. Classwork; finishes axial skeleton.
2) TEST ON MONDAY! Bone Structure, Growth, & Axial skeleton (skull, vertebrae, bony thorax)
2) HOMEWORK: FINISH TEST RVW WKSHT FOR HW GRADE!
3) TEST on Monday. Extra Credit DUE Monday!
1) Discuss/Review HW: Test review worksheet- GRADED for HW.
2) Discuss/Review Chapter Rvw Pkt. pp. 68-72: GRADED as Classwork.
1) TEST -Bone structure, Growth, axial skeleton.
(7th pd. ONLY- TEST on Tuesday due to Senoir Assembly on Mon.)
1) "Osteogenesis Imperfecta: Children of Glass" video
1) "Osteogenesis Imperfecta: child. of glass" : Continued