FIRST LEGO League is a robotics program for 9 to 14 year olds, which is designed to get children excited about science and technology -- and teach them valuable employment and life skills. In FLL, teams learn both through what we do (the Robot Game and the Project) and how we do it (the FLL Core Values). Through the Robot Game teams build and program an autonomous robot using LEGO MINDSTORMS technology to score points in 2.5 minute matches on a themed playing field. Through the Project, teams explore an actual problem that today’s scientists and engineers are trying to solve, develop an innovative solution to that problem (either by creating something that doesn’t exist or building upon something that does), and share their findings with others. Throughout their work on the Robot Game and the Project, teams are guided by the FLL Core Values to build teamwork skills and make this a great experience for everyone involved.
The FLL Core Values are the cornerstones of the FLL program. They are among the fundamental elements that distinguish FLL from other programs of its kind. By embracing the Core Values, participants learn that friendly competition and mutual gain are not separate goals, and that helping one another is the foundation of teamwork.
- We are a team.
- We do the work to find solutions with guidance from our coaches and mentors.
- We know our coaches and mentors don't have all the answers; we learn together.
- We honor the spirit of friendly competition.
- What we discover is more important than what we win.
- We share our experiences with others.
- We display Gracious Professionalism® and Cooperation® in everything we do.
- We have FUN!