Parkland Magnet High School
1600 Brewer Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Phone: (336) 771-4700
Fax: (336) 771-4703
Spencer Hardy, Principal
Dear Mustang Parents/Guardians:
We are so excited about starting this school year and working with your student, developing positive healthy relationships, and expanding and building on what they already know. We have met some challenges along the way and we will be learning some things together as we work to make Parkland Mustangs the best school in the state of North Carolina. We are very glad that you and your child will be part of the Mustang team. THIS IS A LONG LETTER but it has A BUNDLE OF INFORMATION! Please take time to read it in its entirety.
We want to provide you with as much up-front information as possible to be sure you are aware of how to make this school year a success for your student. We recognize that there are many obstacles that stand in the road but we want to eliminate those as much as possible for you. We are enclosing for you instructions on how to access the Parent Portal so that you can be made aware of how your student is progress in attendance, grades, and any missing/late assignments. According to WSFCS Remote Learning Plan, student’s attendance will be recorded based on their logging into synchronous or live online teaching in Microsoft Teams, Zoom for Education Meetings or Canvas Learning for 45-minutes at the beginning of each period and completing the asynchronous “playlist” of assignments in Canvas Learning following the live instruction. We will be following the A/B day calendar enclosed and the 2020-2021 Student calendar for remote learning days and holidays. Teachers will be recording grades weekly and updating grades within one week of the assigned due dates.
Virtual 9th Grade Orientation will be held on August 13th from 9:00-11:00 a.m. Virtual Open House will be held on August 14th from 5:30-7:30 p.m. from a link found on the school system web page. We will offer synchronous time with the teacher during the Flex Friday on August 21st from 9:00 am-3:00 pm. This time will allow you to learn the expectations for instruction and the processes necessary for student success. We want to be the best school in the state and we cannot make that goal without a partnership with you and your student. We will be working through our MTSS Staff, our CARES Team, and our Success Academy Teachers to partner with you to help your child do great things with their education. Success Academy teachers will be reaching out once a month to you to inform you of how your student is doing with their grades in all their classes, attendance, and engagement in synchronous and asynchronous activities. Tutoring will be offered online on Flex Friday’s from 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. by appointment on an individual and/or small group basis. Be listening for phone calls from Ms. Carroll informing you of other opportunities for club activity, student government, and athletic workouts. Ms. Carroll is our Parent Involvement Coordinator and she will be reaching out to you in a variety of ways and social media to keep you abreast of what is happening at Parkland Magnet High School.
Laptop Distribution began on August 3rd with drive-thru pickup options at the school from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you were unable to make the laptop distribution, please come to the school during the week of August 11th-August 15th so that you will be ready for instruction starting August 17th. The school system will be sending out information regarding the “Laptop Depots” that will be set up in three locations throughout the district where they will be working with tech support if needed. Students will need to be able to access their school email account and the directions are enclosed. On the same set of directions for student email address there are directions for logging into “Home Base Apps” (NCEdCloud). This will give you access to PowerSchool for grades and attendance, as well as, Canvas Learning where all instruction will take place.
Expectations for Remote Learning has been outlined by the district for synchronous learning, attendance, completing work during asynchronous instruction, and grading. Synchronous instruction is instruction that is conducted online with a real-time “live” teacher where questions and concerns can be addressed, and direct instruction and practice can be provided. This instruction will occur Monday thru Thursday and the first 45 minutes of the period based on the schedule provided will be synchronous instruction. Asynchronous instruction is a set of activities that are designed to reinforce the learning provided during synchronous instruction and can include projects or offline work that must be turned in as evidence that the student has showed that they have “mastered” the content standard being taught. THIS IS IMPORTANT:
1) Daily Schedule:
- Students are expected to be at their computers daily for instruction and to follow a schedule like that of face-to-face instruction at the school.
- Students will follow the regular school calendar and the A/B day schedule if that applies. Student’s individual schedules will be mailed later. The daily schedule for Parkland High School Monday-Thursday and Flex Friday instruction is:
CLASS TIME: 75 MINUTES
BREAK: 15 MINUTES BETWEEN CLASSES
1st period – 9:00 am-10:15 am
Synchronous Face to Face Instruction 9:00 am – 9:45 am
On Your Own Working Time 9:50 am – 10:15 am
2nd period – 10:30am – 11:45am
Synchronous Face to Face Instruction 10:30 am–11:15 am
On Your Own Working Time 11:20 am–11:45 am
Lunch – 11:45am – 12:30pm
3rd period – 12:30pm – 1:45pm
Synchronous Face to Face Instruction 12:30 pm – 1:15 pm
On Your Own Working Time 1:20 pm – 1:45 pm
4th period – 2:00pm – 3:15pm
Synchronous Face to Face Instruction 2:00 pm– 2:30 pm
On Your Own Working Time 2:35 pm – 3:15 pm
Flex Friday: Can be used for tutoring with teachers 1:1 or for catching up on work such as projects, late work, missing assignments, etc.
More information will be coming regarding how to sign up for each teacher’s Flex Friday Tutoring.
2) Attendance is met by: (Compulsory Attendance Law will be followed)
- Being online, participating, and present during 45-minutes of synchronous instruction;
- Completing the asynchronous instruction playlist which includes both online and offline activities and assignments;
- Turning in your Learning Coach log with appropriate signatures
Missing one of the above components will require the student to be marked as “Absent” from that period of learning.
- Assignments and assessments will be provided so that students are given ample examples and time to process learning before a grade is assigned;
- Assignments and assessments can be turned in one week late without penalty;
- Mastery Grading will be used to determine if the student has mastered the NC Content Standard or if they need additional instruction and an opportunity to “Redo” an assignment. The student would be required to make an appointment with the teacher on Flex Friday for additional support before redoing the assignment
- All grades in PowerSchool that are completed during Remote Learning will be entered in PowerSchool starting with an RL and then the identification of the NC Content Standard that the assignment addresses, then the name of the assignment. (EX: RL RI2.01 Theme of a Text = Remote Learning Reading for Information Standard 2.01 Assignment Theme of a Text).
4) State testing information will be announced later once we are clear on what the state is going to permit.
5) School Supplies: Included in the letter is a list of teachers who are requesting that students have supplies to complete assignments and activities. Please see what items your child’s teacher is requesting and if you have questions or concerns please discuss it with them during the synchronous parent meetings on August 21st with that teacher or contact their administrator.
Our Student Services Department and CFST are available for families who are needing Social and Emotional Support or have individual needs that they would like to discuss. Please feel free to contact the school at the number on the top of this letter and we will put you in touch with those who can support you.
We are excited about this school year. We look forward to working together in partnership to create the Mustang Family. We want to be the best school in North Carolina and we cannot do that without you! Have a great day and we hope that we can be of service to you! Let’s make it a great year!
Spencer Hardy. Principal
Parkland High School