Family and Community Engagement
What We Do
Collectively, we're the families, volunteers, and community partners (local businesses, educational organizations, agency and advocacy groups) who support and nurture the students, teachers, and staff of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.
Student success is at the heart of community engagement for WS/FCS. Our goal is to ensure everyone feels welcomed, valued, and inspired to be active partners in student growth and development. When students are engaged - socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically - they become more hopeful about their future. When students and their families have better connections to resources, support, and experiences - in and out of the classroom, and at home - they become more confident and driven to ready themselves for college and a career.
The Community Engagement team commits to ensuring our community of students, families, volunteers, and community partners are:
- Welcomed: We respect and appreciate diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. WS/FCS will ensure the appropriate establishment of responsive policies, practices, and pathways of support that prepare students to have respect for people from a wide variety of backgrounds, socioeconomic statuses, and family structures.
- Valued: We recognize that students have a broad range of learning styles, abilities, and disabilities. WS/FCS will ensure all students are treated with respect and kindness, and that all students have access to inclusive environments and accommodations to experience greater safety, independence, and success.
- Inspired: We honor individuality and commit to nurturing student curiosity. WS/FCS will ensure students flourish through creative discussions and experiences, and when challenged academically.
- Informed: We strive to be responsive to questions and concerns, and communicate important and sensitive information through accessible avenues. WS/FCS will ensure students, families, and community partners are familiar with access points and that non-English speaking families obtain interpretation and translation services.
- Supported: We recognize that education is strengthened by strong partnerships between school and home. WS/FCS will ensure parents and caregivers are actively invited to participate in the success of their student(s) and to support their local school through activities such as volunteering. WS/FCS will also ensure community partners (local businesses, educational organizations, agency and advocacy groups) are aware of local school needs and understand how to best support the district and its schools.
The Community Engagement team, together with the community, commit to these principles so that our students can participate in a positive learning environment where achievement gaps diminish, dropout rates decline, and graduation rates increase.
Who We Are
Parent, volunteer, and community coordinators at each school collaborate with school staff, parents and family members, and community organizations to ensure proper support structures for students.
The WS/FCS Community Engagement team coordinates partnerships between schools, families, and community partners to promote student achievement and ensures equitable availability of supportive resources and services.
Latest on Phased Reentry
Community Partner Highlight
S.E.E.- Student Enrichment Experience
Programs Provided by IFB Solutions for Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired
IFB Solutions’ Student Enrichment Experience program teaches independence through summer camps, after school activities and more for children K-12 who are blind or visually impaired. These experiences come at no cost to families thanks to community support. We also help with assistive technology that can be used in the classroom or at home. Learn more at https://ifbsolutions.org/programs-services/. Follow IFB Solutions on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram!