East Forsyth High School 2023-2024
All Campus Cell Phone Policy
Cell phones/electronic devices may serve as an outstanding instructional tool and learning resource if used appropriately. We encourage our staff members and our students to use electronics and other 21st century devices to supplement instruction and learning. However, it has been proven that students who are on cell phones or other electronic devices when it is not part of the instructional lesson are not fully engaged in learning. In order to preserve the teaching and learning environment, this document is to clarify the cell phone/electronic devices policy for East Forsyth High School. The policy is:
Student use of cell phones or other electronic devices during the school day is a privilege. Adherence to the guidelines below is essential to maintaining an appropriate academic environment and the integrity of the classroom. Abuse of this privilege will result in consequences beginning with confiscation of device, parent conference, suspension or loss of other privileges such as participation in school trips, internships, proms.
Cell phones and all functions within the cell phone (i.e. cameras and all other applications) are prohibited in the following areas unless expressly permitted by a staff member for educational purposes: Classrooms, Science Labs, Restrooms, all Physical Education Areas and all School Office Areas.
Students must comply with staff directives, including but not limited to, ending phone conversations for student-staff interaction and using appropriate voice volume and device volume. When in use, cell phones must be on silent mode so that no audible ring tone is heard.
Students using cell phones or other functions on electronic devices (listening to music) in any manner that disrupts the educational environment, from within or from outside the classroom, or violates the rights of others, including, but not limited to, using the device in violation of our academic honesty policy, violating school conduct rules, harassing or bullying staff or students, photographing or video recording or using their device for unlawful purposes will be subject to more severe disciplinary action.
Cell Phone Rule: The respectful, non-disruptive use of cell phones is permitted in the school cafeteria during lunch period and any other school area except those listed above. As soon as the threshold of the classroom or any prohibited area is crossed, during the school day, cell phones need to be put away and made undetectable (i.e., silenced without vibration). Violation of the cell phone rule as stated above will result in the confiscation of the device according to the following ladder of disciplinary action:
- First Offense ~ the classroom teacher or staff member will make a phone call home to parents to discuss the infraction and discuss next steps.
- Second Offense ~ the teacher will put in a minor infraction in the Educator Handbook. An administrator will confiscate the phone for a period of 24 hours or until a parent or guardian can pick up the phone. Administrator will make contact with the parent.
- Third Offense ~ An Administrator will establish parent contact and determine the next level of consequences up to and including suspension.
*It should be noted that refusal to surrender a cell phone or other electronic device when directed to do so by a school staff member, teacher or administrator is a violation of our school’s Code of Conduct. Insubordinate behavior is punishable by suspension, exclusion from school events, inclusive of graduation and or involuntary transfer proceedings.
Policy Bullet Points
- Cell phones are prohibited from use in classrooms and any other area in which academic work is being done unless otherwise instructed by the teacher.
- Headphones and other Bluetooth enabled devices are not permitted to be worn in class without teacher approval and must be put away securely by the student in any academic area.
- Cell phones are not to be used in bathrooms.
- Once inside the school, students must store their cell phones/electronic devices in a location that is not visible to the teacher or other students, even though they are on SILENT. It is THE STUDENT’S responsibility to keep your things secure.
- If a cell phone/ electronic device rings, vibrates, or is used for any reason without teacher permission, or is visible anytime during class time or if students are caught using it on campus during class time, a staff member may confiscate the device.
- Texting and cell phone use is permitted in halls during class change and during the lunch period in the cafeteria.
- All cell phone use must be respectful and non-disruptive to students and staff. This includes using cell phones to take pictures and video.
- Phones must remain on silent at all times throughout the school day. Parents / Guardians, please note you can contact your child via their cell phone during the lunch period. In the event of an immediate emergency, please call the school’s main office at (336) 703-6735.
- It should be noted that the school nor any of its employees are responsible for the loss or damage to any student’s phone or electronic device whether that device is in the student’s possession or confiscated by the staff. It is the responsibility of the student to adhere to this policy and to secure his or her belongings at all times. Classes and or instruction will not be stopped to deal with or search for lost phones/devices.