• Our History

    Education at Kimberley Park Elementary School first began when an architect by the name of Charles Rufus Faw designed a Classical Revival- style building as part of a 1920s campaign to improve the educational facilities city-wide. This new building had up-to-date amenities, which was great for the neighborhood youths. Previously, many had attended an overcrowded school by the name of Oak Street School. John W. Paisley, Oak Street’s Principal since 1913, headed Kimberley Park after the 1925 building was completed.  He was the principal until 1940. An addition was made that almost doubled the original structure’s size in 1929. This addition resulted in a space that had 29 classrooms, a library, auditorium, cafeteria, kitchen, and office spaces. Enrollment had reached 1,177 students during the 1937-1938 school year.  This continued until a fire in September 1965. After the fire, a general contractor by the name of C.J. Kern began erecting the replacement building which still houses elementary students today.  

     

    During the building of the structure, energy-saving initiatives, aesthetic shifts, and new teaching strategies transformed the exterior and interior of the organization. An architecture firm in Winston-Salem, Stinson-Hines and Associates, helped with the design and prepared plans for two campuses that were almost identical by adapting a plan originally used for Bolton Elementary School. The 1966 buildings feature open classrooms with folding partition walls that allowed for co-teaching. This has been changed to now have permanent walls. 

    The building also contains a rectangular administration block and three octagonal classroom wings. There is a combination gymnasium and auditorium that features a stage. The granite retaining wall on the North Cherry Street sidewalk remains from the original 1925 campus. 

    picture of KP today

    The history of leadership of Kimberley Park Elementary:

                1925-1940 – John W. Paisley

                1941-1946 – Albert H. Anderson, Jr.

                19?? – 1965 – Ruth Lewis

                1968 – 1983 – Andrew L. Yarborough III

                1983 – 1984 – Annie Hairston

                1984 – 1992 – ?

                1992 – 1996 – Norris Baker

                1996 -2002 – Rev. Richard Watts

                2002-2008 – Dr. Sheila Gorham

                2008-2019 – Dr. Amber Baker

                2020 – present – Diamond L. Gwyn