~Sun, Fun, and Rip Roaring Reads~
Walkertown Middle School 2019 Summer Reading Ideas!
Reading is a spark for the imagination and a passport to the world! Walkertown Middle School students are encouraged to participate in summer reading activities. Here are some ideas for page-turning fun over the summer break:
- EXPERT EXPO! In the fall of 2018, we piloted a new personalized learning program for student to research and create a portfolio showcasing their learning on a topic of their choice. This year, we are expanding this program to include even more options! In the fall, students will be invited to apply to participate in our Expert Expo personalized learning program. Expert Expo will provide students with the opportunity to explore and research a topic of interest or expertise that they select. Topics may include anything from a curriculum-based subject, such as the Holocaust, medicinal plants, first aid, etc. or a topic related to a hobby such as a sport, skateboarding, dance, camping, knitting, etc. Students who complete the requirements will be featured at our school's special Expert Expo Showcase, where they will be featured presenters on their topic. Students who Expert Expo presenters will receive automatic admission to the annual Reading Passport Auction and bonus spending points to use to bid on various prizes. To get started over the summer, we encourage you to read up on a topic of interest. More information will be available in the fall.
- Jump into the reading activities offered by the FORSYTH COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY Summer Reading Program. Click here for information their "A Universe of Stories!" summer fun and reading opportunities.
- Take a look at the NC BATTLE OF THE BOOKS middle school titles list for 2019-2020. These books will carry extra bonus credit in our media center's school-wide Reading Passport program when it is unveiled in the fall.
- Check out the BOOKMARKS SUMMER READING PROGRAM. You can share written, visual, and video responses to win books and cash prizes! Click here for information, including rules and regulations for this program. Bookmarks has a great assortment of events and special opportunities for K-12 readers. The annual Bookmarks Festival of Books and Authors will be held September 5-8, 2019. Check out this amazing festival celebrating reading and writing here!
- Feeling artistic? Get a head start on the National National PTA Reflections Arts Contest. The 2019-2020 theme is "Look Within." Students may enter original art creations in six categories: literature, visual arts, photography, dance choreography, film production, and music composition. Rules and additional information will be released in the fall, but students are welcome to brainstorm and begin their creations over the summer! Links to preliminary rules and forms are provided in the Reflections area of the WMS Media Center page.