Pre-K Application Period 2022-2023 begins Monday, January 24, 2022
Children must be four years of age on or before August 31 and live in Forsyth County to be considered for the Pre-K program.
- Parents apply for all WS/FCS, Head Start, and Smart Start/NCPK locations using a single application.
- There is no charge for families for the educational program.
- Application distribution points: Office of Early Learning 2020 E. 12th Street, Winston-Salem, Pre-K elementary school sites, Head Start, and Smart Start
Once you have completed the application you must also:
Include these documents:
1. Child’s Birth Certificate, or Health Assessment Medical Record which must include the child's birth date or Immunizations or Religious documentation or Verification of birth of child
2. Proof of Forsyth County residence (most current utility bill or lease in parent’s name),
3. Income documentation for parents living in the household who are working: last 4 check stubs, or other income documentation (Tax Return, W-2’s are acceptable). Also, proof of SSI benefits, and/or proof of child support, if applicable. Parents do not have to be employed for the child to be eligible.
4. Complete the Site Preference Form
The Site Preference Form is part of the application. Your selections do not guarantee placement at any site, but allow you to indicate the location(s) you are able to provide transportation for your child and you are able to access before and after school care if needed.
Turn in the application
Return completed applications with documentation in person (drop off box available) or by mail to:
- Smart Start of Forsyth County, 7820 North Point Blvd, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106 336-725-6011
- Head Start at Healy Drive 3410 Healy Drive., Winston-Salem, NC, 27103 336-727-0617
- Head Start at WSSU, 601 S. Martin Luther King Dr., Winston-Salem, NC, 27101 336-750-2472 or 336-750-8813
Other Important Information to Note
- Pre-K Placement is made based on program-specific factors, not on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applicants are rank-ordered, offered placement, and when all classrooms in the county have been filled, a rank order waitlist is maintained to fill vacancies as they occur.
- Please note the enrollment process can take several weeks to complete.
In the school year 2022-23, applicants will receive information within a couple of weeks of submitting a completed application by phone or email to complete a developmental parent questionnaire.
Who Do I Contact If I Think My Child May Qualify for Preschool Special Education Services
If you are concerned about your child's development, please contact the WS/FCS EC Preschool Office at (336) 703-4199
Need to Know Information
Apply now by clicking on one of the applications below:
If you have your documents ready to upload, you can click here to complete the online application at the Smart Start of Forsyth County/NC Pre-K webpage. Scroll to the bottom right-hand side of the screen for the application.
If you have questions, email us at PreK@wsfcs.k12.nc.us or call 336-748-4000 ext. 70155.