Whitaker Elementary School, School of Excellence, is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in the community of Buena Vista. Whitaker is a small elementary school dedicated to giving excellent education to children. The school opened in 1954 and has classes in kindergarten through fifth grade. Currently, we have approximately 540 students.
Whitaker Elementary School offers a curriculum that is devoted to mastery of the academic fundamentals necessary for the development of each student's full potential. The teachers and staff at Whitaker believe education is a responsibility shared by the child, the home, the school and the community.
- Small class sizes, uninterrupted instructional time, tutoring program and high expectations used to develop strong foundations in reading, writing and math for each child.
- Emphasis on problem solving, critical and creative thinking, decision making, group work and oral reports.
- Arts and experiential activities enrich the teaching of science, social studies and other areas of the curriculum.
- Outdoor classroom, nature trail, gardens and field trips.
- Focus on service projects and community involvement to teach character, honor and self-discipline. A focus on quality will develop students' sense of pride in their school, work and behavior.
- Technology tools used in classrooms and labs. Students use the Internet and enrichment software..
Specialists in art, music, physical education, media and enrichment tie the humanities to the academic curriculum.