Name: Ms. Darica WallerSubject: HS English I, English I, HN English IContact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to English I! I am elated to be teaching you English. It is my desire for us to work together to ensure your academic success!
High School English I
The High School English Course is designed to prepare students for success in English I by enhancing fundamental literacy skills. Students will be exposed to high-interest literary and informational texts to improve their reading levels and motivation to read. Students will gain the skills necessary to construct effective paragraphs, including recognizing the basic parts of speech.
1st Quarter: Students will develop basic reading skills necessary for fluent, close reading. Students will learn to write effective, complete sentences.
2nd Quarter: Students will learn elements of literary analysis. Students will write effective paragraphs.
Honors English I:
You are in Honors English I, this means that your learning and success is based upon your intestinal fortitude to succeed.
The Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (“the standards”) represent the next generation of K–12 standards designed to prepare all students for success in college, career, and life by the time they graduate from high school; for more information please visit http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/.
Class Assignments (include but are not limited to):
Journal Writing/ Free writing (daily)
A= 100%-90%, B= 89%-80%, C=79%-70%, D=69%-60%, F 59%-0%
Classroom Procedures: Discipline Procedures (not in any particular order)
WE are prepared Verbal Warning
WE are prompt Written Statements/Journal
WE are respectful Parent Contact
We follow directions Detention or ISS
1. 3-Ring Binder (at least 2 inches)*
2. Loose Leaf Paper*
3. Pens (black or blue), NO RED PENS, pencils, highlighters *
4. Markers and colored pencils
5. Dividers (at least 4)
6. 1 pk. of Index cards
7. 1 pkg. of copy paper
* Students will not be admitted to class without these items daily and may receive disciplinary action for not being prepared.
Tests/Writing Assignments 25%
Project (Grade Level) 15%
Class Participation 5%
Late Work/Absence Policy:
• All work is due on the date announced! (NO LATE WORK IS ACCEPTED without a written excuse signed by a parent or doctor)
• If you must be absent, it is your responsibility to check the absent work binder or see the teacher (after class/school) to make up all quizzes and tests. You must make up all work within (3) school day of your return.
I am available for tutoring Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:45pm to 4:45pm by appointment only.Ensure that you have created an account on Edmodo.com and Dropbox.com!