• Enrolling in Kindergarten (Spring)

    Kindergarten is an exciting time for children and parents. It's also a time filled with many questions as parents get ready to see their children go off to school for the first time. We want to make this process as easy as possible, because school should be fun from the first day on.
    Parents who are new to our school system may not realize that WS/FCS has a choice plan that allows them to choose from among the four or five schools in their zone. You are guaranteed your residential school or one of your top three choices in your zone. You’ll have the best chance at getting your top choice if you turn in your choice card by the choice deadline of March 15.
    Your child must also be 5 years old by Aug. 31, 2019, to enroll in kindergarten. If your child will be 5, then you need to take these steps:
    1. Find out your residential school and zone. If you don’t know it, you can look it up on our School Locator or call the Student Assignment office at 748-3302.
    2. Enroll your child. Go to your residential school during school hours (typically between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.). You need to enroll at your residential school even if you'd like to choose a different school. When you come, please bring:
      1. your child’s birth certificate
      2. proof of your address (gas,electric or water bill; lease; mortgage)
      3. your child's immunization records
    3. Fill out a choice card. You will receive a choice card when you enroll your child at your residential school. Rank your top three choices in your zone and turn in the card by March 15. Transportation is provided to any of the schools in your zone. Please fill out a choice card even if you'd like to apply to a school outside of your zone. You will receive your assignment in the U.S. Mail in late March.
    4. If you'd like to attend a school outside of your zone,  you can apply for an out-of-zone transfer from April 22 - May 3. Forms will be available at all elementary schools and on the Student Assignment website. Space for out-of-zone transfers is limited, and some schools do not have space for any out-of-zone transfers. Transportation is not provided for out-of-zone transfers.
    If you have any questions, please call the Student Assignment office at 748-3302. We're excited to meet your children.